Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy 50th Anniversary of Earth Day

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Planet of the Humans... based on your reaction, I just watched it, and I agree--wow. stunning.
    Yes. And as Rogar said - it definitely challenged some of my thinking.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I can't say that I totally agreed with the negativity cast on green energy in Planet of the Humans, but I did agree with the fact that we just can't have unlimited growth with limited resources. And how it comes down to population control and consumption. I enjoyed the film and learned a few things. It challenged some of my thinking.
    Mother Nature is doing her damnedest to control the human population, and we are doing our damnedest to thwart that now in the midst of COVID19 reactions. I dont know, maybe I am kinda on her side.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Mother Nature is doing her damnedest to control the human population, and we are doing our damnedest to thwart that now in the midst of COVID19 reactions. I dont know, maybe I am kinda on her side.
    I have mixed emotions; we seem to be such slow learners where the environment is concerned.

Mother Nature has no vested interest. It’s just what happens sometimes with biological populations. I don’t think covid has much at all to do with climate change. I think they are two separate and wildly unknown threats to humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Mother Nature has no vested interest. It’s just what happens sometimes with biological populations. I don’t think covid has much at all to do with climate change. I think they are two separate and wildly unknown threats to humanity.
    I respectfully disagree. As population increases, humans come in closer contact with wildlife AND as population increases and demands more of natural resources to satisfy their needs/wants which actions include destroying our forests, increasing carbon output and invading natural spaces, these impact climate change. They are both part of one large picture.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That makes sense too. That they might be connected.

I think I was reacting to the idea that Mother Nature has a plan, or a will, or emotions, or is bringing this on humans in some way.

It’s just survival in a world where humans are not the center of things, like we think we are.

Am I even making sense?

If mother nature had a plan it would be killing mostly people of reproductive age, before they have (more) kids. The seniors not so much so.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just read that Michael Moore has a new documentary that is available on Youtube free for 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late.

Removed from the debate is the only thing that MIGHT save us: getting a grip on our out-of-control human presence and consumption. Why is this not THE issue? Because that would be bad for profits, bad for business. Have we environmentalists fallen for illusions, “green” illusions, that are anything but green, because we’re scared that this is the end—and we’ve pinned all our hopes on biomass, wind turbines, and electric cars?

No amount of batteries are going to save us, warns director Jeff Gibbs (lifelong environmentalist and co-producer of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine"). This urgent, must-see movie, a full-frontal assault on our sacred cows, is guaranteed to generate anger, debate, and, hopefully, a willingness to see our survival in a new way—before it’s too late.

Featuring: Al Gore, Bill McKibben, Richard Branson, Robert F Kennedy Jr., Michael Bloomberg, Van Jones, Vinod Khosla, Koch Brothers, Vandana Shiva, General Motors, 350.org, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sierra Club, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Nature Conservancy, Elon Musk, Tesla.

Music by: Radiohead, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blank & Jones, If These Trees Could Talk, Valentina Lisitsa, Culprit 1, Patrick O’hearn, The Torquays, Nigel Stanford, and many more.
    So Films for Action just posted this 30-minute video featuring my permaculture teacher--they are calling it an "essential counter to the hopelessness of the narrative of Planet of the Humans" Andrew really is a visionary--I loved loved loved his permaculture design class, because it was so holistic and all-encompassing and design-focused. This video was presented for his local watershed area in upstate NY (he also teaches half the year in NYC, where I took his class). So some of it is specific to his region, but the concepts are applicable anywhere.

If you have 30 minutes to feel a little better about what you learned in Planet of the Humans, watch this.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/watch...w3mlR1XQiSklZ4
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So Films for Action just posted this 30-minute video featuring my permaculture teacher--they are calling it an "essential counter to the hopelessness of the narrative of Planet of the Humans" Andrew really is a visionary--I loved loved loved his permaculture design class, because it was so holistic and all-encompassing and design-focused. This video was presented for his local watershed area in upstate NY (he also teaches half the year in NYC, where I took his class). So some of it is specific to his region, but the concepts are applicable anywhere.

If you have 30 minutes to feel a little better about what you learned in Planet of the Humans, watch this.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/watch...w3mlR1XQiSklZ4
    I did enjoy seeing this and agree that it has possibilities to help. Still lots of manufacturing required but at least it provides an option to explore further.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just watched it and it does look very hopeful, but I'm thinking it is not something that is going to happen on a grand scale anytime soon. I also kept thinking "Monsanto"... the opposition seems formidable to these ideas.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information