Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machine Advice requested

Bringing back this thread...

Now that my daughter's dress is made, I'm interested in investing in my own sewing machine. I borrowed SIL's Brother machine for the wedding dress and so now I know how to thread it and work it.. it was a heavy duty computerized machine and I really liked it. He got it at Costco, but it looks like Costco no longer offers it. So I'm back to the drawing board.

So here are my criteria/needs:

...Good for an intermediate sewer
    ...Brother preferred now that I know it, but not a big deal
    ...Not heavy (weight--not metal. My old machine was metal and it was a ton weight).
    ...Heavy duty capability would be good but not necessary
    ...I don't need a million and one stitches.
    ...I'm not sure if want mechanical or computerized.. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of each

So far these are a couple of contenders, but not married to anything at this point:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Quilt...s%2C172&sr=1-1
    (This one seems most similar to the one I used for the dress)

Thoughts? Recommendations?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Every time this question is raised I answer, find a local dealer. Even if you do not buy from them (but suggested), they will have the machines to try out. Find one with technicians or available repair people. Often great deals are found in trade in or demo machines. Both of my modern machines were demo models on sale.

There are so many different needs and likes. The machine to recommend totally depends on the type of sewing you expect to do in the future. Quilt making requires (or it really helps to have) a different type of machine than clothes sewing or embroidery, or upholstery.

I spent 10X more than you are planning to spend on my machine and do not use 80% of the features. But have a vintage Singer (and have loved my vintage!! Singers a whole lot) for travel and sewing when the fancy machine is in the shop. I prefer a heavy metal machine and do not move it much at all.

All I need is a good straight stitch, up/down control of needle, buttonhole stitch.

Have sewing machines gone the way of other appliances? Are they all made by one or two companies but different names attached?

My Kenmore was made by Janome I was informed by the local repair man. I got the impression that Janome makes a lot of machines for other names but may have misinterpreted this. Sweetana's suggestion is a really good one and the perfect starting point.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I like Sweetana's advice alot. I will buy a sewing machine maybe once every ten years, so I can't even give good advice to someone like you who is already a skilled seamstress (we have seen the dress, so you cannot claim otherwise, lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I like Sweetana's advice alot. I will buy a sewing machine maybe once every ten years, so I can't even give good advice to someone like you who is already a skilled seamstress (we have seen the dress, so you cannot claim otherwise, lol!)
    Yes, I also like sweetana's advice. I just looked up sewing machine repair people near me, and I think that maybe COVID is making people craftier because he said on his FB page that he is down to 50 outstanding phone calls he has to return!! So I'm not going to add to that list. Or maybe I will, but just keep looking on my own and see how fast he gets back to me. I'll try another sewing machine place, but there aren't that many up here, as you would expect.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

This one is a drive, and maybe you don't want to go that far with Covid:

https://www.middleburysewnvac.com/

I like Bernina from experience, and Janome by reputation, but I agree with the consensus. Go and try some out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    This one is a drive, and maybe you don't want to go that far with Covid:

https://www.middleburysewnvac.com/
    I'm not concerned about COVID in VT necessarily, but that is a bit of a drive! But thanks for the lead!

As it turns out, I heard from the guy closer to me who has 50 messages to return! This is what he said in his iMessage:

Unless you see yourself doing a lot of embellishment with fancy stitches, a mechanical machine may be simpler to operate that a computerized one. That would include machines like the Janome HD-3000 and the Husqvarna Viking Emerald series, which is built by Janome. I like the Emerald 118. It's mechanical, well built, has a decent selection of stitches, and though it's not computerized, it does have the ability to stop with needle up (or down) which is really handy.
    In general, Janome makes good machines. Brother makes good machines if you avoid the really cheap ones at Walmart. Juki builds some good machines, but they can be hard to find. Bernina is somewhat over-engineered and overpriced.
    Singer now relies on subcontractors for all its manufacturing, so quality is hit or miss. Some of their lines like the 4000-series "Heavy Duty" machines, the 7000-series Patchwork machines, and the Quantum Styllst 9900-series, are pretty good.
    If you want a machine that's durable and dependable, I'd plan on spending at least $250, and maybe up as far as $450-$600 if your budget permits - that range should cover a lot of nice mid-range machines.
    As for used machines: vintage metal Singer machines hold up well, but avoid the plastic ones esp. if they were made in Brazil, and avoid the Touch & Sew series - they're flakey. Kenmore machines are usually a safe bet - Sears always used dependable manufacturers.

Just in case anyone wants to know...advice from an expert.

The Viking emerald looks like a rea.ly nice machine:

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/v...MaAsh4EALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    There are so many different needs and likes. The machine to recommend totally depends on the type of sewing you expect to do in the future. Quilt making requires (or it really helps to have) a different type of machine than clothes sewing or embroidery, or upholstery.
    Interesting perspective. I do everything on a single machine: tailored clothing, I made a new canvas cover for our tent trailer way back, I quilt, I mend......not sure why this is your perspective?

Thread Information