Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help—IRA distribution to qualified charity

Help—IRA distribution to qualified charity

https://www.investopedia.com/taxes/c...onate-charity/

Sweetana posted this guideline a couple days ago. I read it and have a different interpretation than that of DH.

Here is another source talking about it. https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...om-an-ira.html

Here’s my question: can I, age 65, move money from an IRA to a qualified charity, without me paying taxes or without them paying taxes? I interpret these articles to say I can only do that when I am 70.5 years old.

edited to show another source

My husband said yes, it has to be 70.5 unless they increase it. Our plans and actions are based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    My husband said yes, it has to be 70.5 unless they increase it. Our plans and actions are based on that.
    Thank you.

As an aside, can any of you see why I’m driven mad by financial discussions with DH? Honestly we read three separate articles on the web and came to opposing conclusions. To me, is very obvious you have to be 70 1/2.

Also, I learned from my employer-based retirement plan representative that employer plans do not qualify for this tax break.

That is interesting, thank you for figuring that out, IL.

But couldn't you, even before the age of 70.5, you establish a charitable account--I know you can with Schwab--and then take the tax donation for doing that, then generate income in that account and donate it each year to the rescue dogs? Or anyone else you wanted?

In fact, I don[t know why you wouldn't just do that now, since you are not worried about leaving money to your children--I know I would if I didn't children and grandchildren that I wanted to leave money to.

See
    https://www.schwabcharitable.org/public/charitable/home

... and this is still true despite the changes made with the CARES Act?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is interesting, thank you for figuring that out, IL.

But couldn't you, even before the age of 70.5, you establish a charitable account--I know you can with Schwab--and then take the tax donation for doing that, then generate income in that account and donate it each year to the rescue dogs? Or anyone else you wanted?

In fact, I don[t know why you wouldn't just do that now, since you are not worried about leaving money to your children--I know I would if I didn't children and grandchildren that I wanted to leave money to.

See
    https://www.schwabcharitable.org/public/charitable/home
    Without delving into this deeply, my immediate reactions are these, and
    I don’t mean any to sound smart ass:

1) in my household we do not “just” do anything with financial investments. I can barely talk to DH about financial stuff without loud argument and waving of arms happening, so anything requiring more than five minutes of discussion is close to impossible. He is always convinced he is right and will not budge.

2) This plan seem to have the premise we itemize deductions on tax returns.
    I am not sure we have ever itemized once in the past 10 years, and with Trump’s new automatic deduction rates, we will not ever do it.

As I told our dog rescue head, my household is talented at accumulating funds. We are weak at investing and are stoooopid about end-of-life draw down of assets.

It IS time we create an actual plan for asset distribution. While I don’t care about leaving money to anyone and would prefer to die broke, I want to assure my funds as they exist are there when *I* need them or when DH needs them. Which is why doling them out a bit at a time seems safer to me.

But I will say that after thinking about DH for the past ten years and his 0 income if I die, I am less concerned than before he inherited a Family farm and seems (to me) to be frittering away its value. If he feels ok to do that,
    I feel ok to be less concerned about his financial well being.

All of this is, of course, from my point of view. He would tell a different tale!

We do, of course, have a will and trust.

See, your point about getting older and managing complex accounts is one that speaks to me deeply. Where I single, I would manage my assets is very differently than how they are now managed.

edited for additional info and clarification

Trying to edit, it this software is behaving badly today

That all makes total sense!

I think because of witnessing my mom's dementia and how she could not longer work on her beloved stock portfolio, I have this need to get things straightened out now, while I can still think.

If I set up the charitable trust--which is hard for me because it means less for my heirs--then I could just dole out what little bit it made a year.

And I am talking minimal.

But still, it would be nice to have it set up in advance of the time I won't be able to do something like that.

But I've also seen how much my folks are paying a month--currently it's about 10,000 but we looked at several places that would have been 20,000 for both--and I think, no hang on to every penny because I'll probably need it and use it. Ugh.

I added a couple of points to my #6 post.

A couple of useful things came out of this week’s discussion with DH.

For one thing, I got him to finish our net worth statement that we make once a year, a snapshot of where we stand on December 31 of each year. He had not finished it because he was waiting for a stock evaluation and this discussion caused him to get on the stick and finish it. And yet, he did not include the family farm as an asset, and when his father died DH became part-owner. Sigh. So I had to reiterate with him our asset list is what we own if we die today. Our asset list includes EVERYTHING in which we have financial interest.

Second thing, this got me moving to chart how much of our assets he “controls” and how much I “control”. I have absolute control and/or input into about 1/3. He has absolutely control, general control, and input into well over 2/3. This seems uneven to me, and I will be thinking about this for a while because
    i want to take action. This balance will shift somewhat when we sell our city house—that $ will go i to a cash or CD account and I have joint control of those.

My nattering over the years about self-directed index investing vs our brokerage accounts cause him to pull out some comparison numbers that demonstrated, up thru 2019, , that our brokers may have done a better job than my self directed index fund. I am fine with not beating the stock market, but I will have to look at this carefully because now at least I have some data.

We of course give small amounts to charity regularly but nothing big because we may need it.

Thread Information