Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security

Security

Just a Sunday morning mental meandering. May be a more interesting question in these times. What does security mean to you? What makes you feel secure? What threatens your sense of security? How important is it to you? Do you have a big "security gland" (to use Dave Ramsey's terminology)? Think broadly.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Security for me is two different things: 1) autonomy/physical security and 2) freedom from "want".

Physical security is a big deal for me. I'm small and not very strong. I'm super conscious/paranoid about being out in crowded areas or being alone in an unfamiliar area. I get anxious where other people would think no big deal.

The second part of the security is keeping my wants less than my means, so that I always have a cushion. This is not just money of course, but also time. I keep time cushions so that there are spaces to think rather than just react to circumstances. I feel adequately secure for most situations for example I don't have to panic if I get a flat tire or there is a minor house mishap. So I don't have anxiety surrounding these kinds of items. Which is good, because there is enough anxiety with current events.

Adding to Herbgeek with which I agree, I would include the freedom to pray, think and speak as my conscience dictates. Security is often thought of as a 'gated' concept while I see see it as a freedom for myself and others.
    You do come up with wonderful threads, Cath.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Adding to Herbgeek with which I agree, I would include the freedom to pray, think and speak as my conscience dictates. Security is often thought of as a 'gated' concept while I see see it as a freedom for myself and others.
    You do come up with wonderful threads, Cath.
    I'm a market researcher, razz.. I'm trained to ask questions!

Thank you. I like your thought about "gated" vs "open" security. I have thoughts on that as well, but need to congeal them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Money and safety. When we had our 80 lb husky/shepherd mix I felt very safe. Now he’s gone and the security system doesn’t make me feel nearly as safe. My asthma and allergies are too bad to get another big dog. Of course with the virus I have a fair amount of anxiety.

Pretty secure here. Money is not a worry. We live in a very safe neighborhood, but I’m armed if anyone decided to come in when I’m home,and I’m insured if I was gone.

our biggest annoyance is hurricanes, and we leave if they are forecasted to come our way.

Is there a right answer? I mean I think obviously some of it depends on objective circumstances. Duh of course.

But that which doesn't probably depends mostly on early life experience (although it's probably not straightforward, one can learn an indifference to violence by growing up with a ton of it, as much as they can a fear). So it kinda "is what it is". So I fear some things and not others and that's not that much rhyme or reason to it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I feel secure when I know I can take care of myself financially, emotionally and physically. I'm thankful that we paid off the house before we retired. I'm thankful that we live well within our means with my pension and our SS. I'm thankful for so much to keep us busy at home and for grocery delivery so we aren't bored, hungry or threatening to kill each other.

I'm not concerned.

Finanacially, I've saved what I've saved. I have double what I need it just means less travel or economy if it takes a dump.

If I get sick and die, so be it. I am not consumed with death. Dad died when I was just 33......I live each day as if it were my last and have for 25 years already.

Thread Information