Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Any change to future emergency preps?

We are still decluttering too. I have a crockpot and that’s good enough.

I threw away masks in decluttering before the pandemic even. Because I didn't think I'd ever need them. i wonder if I even know what I need (in terms of things that is).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hated mine, pitched it. I had to fight with the lid every time I wanted to use it.

Appliances that are smarter than I am do not get to live in my house.
    I think you suspected the lid was defective; so it wasn't that smart . Mine has been humming along without a hitch. four times a week for six years. And I have backups. Pandemic preparedness for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I disagree. I'm still trying to declutter and get to a more minimalistic level of living. As I'm reducing and re-organizing, I'm finding that I have more than enough of some stocked items and a clearer picture of what I need more of. So, yes, I think minimalism is still alive and kicking - at least at my house.
    I guess it depends on how you define minimalism. I still lean towards minimalism. I don't like having more than I need at this point in my life. The question is, what do I need? I think that, except for the few things I mentioned (masks, emergency radio, a few more cases of pantry items I use all the time) I am no less minimalist than I was before. That said, I know now I could never do without a backyard storage shed, and I could never live in a house smaller than the one I'm in now, which is pretty small by today's standards.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

While I was never even close to running out of toilet paper, the very thought horrified me greatly, and I'm sure I'll keep even more of an inventory in the future. It's easy to find it in my area now, and I am so happy to see it in the stores. I've always been one to sweat the small stuff, so maybe we are all going to die, but as long as there are adequate TP reserves, "what me worry?"
    I do think I'll be inclined to stock a little bit more than previously with a lot of non-perishables, especially items where we want something very specific that isn't found just anywhere.

I still think much is projected fear, as I haven't run out of anything, and had a small (not huge) stash of TP going in, which definitely helped, but this was not months upon months of the stuff, and yea horrifying thought!

Paper towels may never come back, they are convenient but not an absolute necessity of course (I used to think I owned too many real towels, now: so I have 30 towels of various sizes or something, so what? ). More masks would be good. I will second guess my decluttering for the rest of my life on that one maybe always asking "am I really really sure I won't need this someday?". But mostly there is enough. Of every exact food one might want immediately, sometimes not, but stores are much better stocked now than a few weeks ago and there was always plenty of good food.

Are things ideal? I never thought I'd be running my work life off of a REFURBISHED computer I bought as a spare (factory refurbished), without the fastest internet, but oh well, if all seems to work and all slowness experienced seems to be on the network because all my coworkers complain about it too. Go figure.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    While I was never even close to running out of toilet paper, the very thought horrified me greatly, and I'm sure I'll keep even more of an inventory in the future. It's easy to find it in my area now, and I am so happy to see it in the stores. I've always been one to sweat the small stuff, so maybe we are all going to die, but as long as there are adequate TP reserves, "what me worry?"
    I do think I'll be inclined to stock a little bit more than previously with a lot of non-perishables, especially items where we want something very specific that isn't found just anywhere.
    Try a subscription and you'll never run out! And when there is a panic, my subscription service stops selling to outside people so they can continue to sell to their regulars. I just got another case of 52 rolls.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Try a subscription and you'll never run out! And when there is a panic, my subscription service stops selling to outside people so they can continue to sell to their regulars. I just got another case of 52 rolls.
    I feel like we'll see a huge movement to that kind of thing in the near future. It was happening anyway, but COVID will probably accelerate it. I think it's just generally a good way to simplify too, although buying a backup stock and then starting your subscription so you almost never have to tap into the backup is probably best for true preparedness (in the situation where a subscription company goes under, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I feel like we'll see a huge movement to that kind of thing in the near future. It was happening anyway, but COVID will probably accelerate it. I think it's just generally a good way to simplify too, although buying a backup stock and then starting your subscription so you almost never have to tap into the backup is probably best for true preparedness
    I was already getting most of my routine supplies this way. I live in a remote spot, and the local stores tend to sell very small packages at high prices of the boring things like TP, paper towels, napkins, pantry items. Much of the year their stocking is aimed at the tourist or summer home owner, who doesn't need huge bottles of ketchup and such.

My house also has way too much storage space. So, I routinely order in volume, generally a 3/6/9/12 month supply of some things. Paper products in particular - I have one closet that is the "paper closet" with all that sort of stuff in it. And sometime in January the large supply showed up, before the current disaster got rolling.

I used to joke when talking with "preppers" who were going on about how much food, or ammo, or fuel oil they had stashed away that the true measure of preparedness was how much TP they had. Who knew years ago that wasn't just a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I was already getting most of my routine supplies this way. I live in a remote spot, and the local stores tend to sell very small packages at high prices of the boring things like TP, paper towels, napkins, pantry items. Much of the year their stocking is aimed at the tourist or summer home owner, who doesn't need huge bottles of ketchup and such.

My house also has way too much storage space. So, I routinely order in volume, generally a 3/6/9/12 month supply of some things. Paper products in particular - I have one closet that is the "paper closet" with all that sort of stuff in it. And sometime in January the large supply showed up, before the current disaster got rolling.

I used to joke when talking with "preppers" who were going on about how much food, or ammo, or fuel oil they had stashed away that the true measure of preparedness was how much TP they had. Who knew years ago that wasn't just a joke?
    Man, that is the way to go for a lot of reasons if you have that ability, especially considering the storage space. If I was going to store that much stuff I'd need to be crazy organized about it, something I don't really have time for (although I probably should make time for it now).

I'm definitely going to start systematizing my basic supplies in that way soon though.

Thread Information