Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any change to future emergency preps?

I wish I could cut my own hair. I am feeling like I need to break out a polyester leisure suit.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Like most here, I was very well prepared. It made no sense to me that a virus would not spread around the world the way planes were flying everywhere.
    Now that we are starting the reopening I plan on stocking up more. Our stores are now very well stocked. It is way too early here to open. In the last month over 50,000 people died and most of us were locked up at home. I expect we haven’t seen the worst of it now that things are opening up.
    Also, I have been experimenting with vegetarian recipes and I will continue that. I’m doing great with my garden. Beans, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes and zucchini are producing. Enough that we can eat several fresh things a day. I even planted a lemon tree but that will take a while.

My next challenge is to figure out how to store and organize More efficiently.

I am a quilter so I’ve been using up my fabric stash and it’s convinced me if I can sew for hours a day for five weeks and still have many quilts left to do, I do not need one more piece of fabric.
    We have stacks of books. I volunteer at the library used bookstore and bought a lot at .50 and $1. A few David Mccollough and Nathaniel Philbrick books and you are set for weeks.

Next up, making headbands to get my hair out of my face. I’m also considering an Instapot.

Truthfully though I have enough. I haven't really been short on anything. I haven't really suffered for want of anything. Not even TP, I've worried my fair share about it (a worry really noone needs added to their worries) given how hard it is to find, but found it here and there that it's enough.

So more peace of mind if I had more supplies sure, but truth is I have enough. Sanitizer no not readily found, but soap is, and for most things that's enough too. There were a few things I wish I had bought before the whole world shut down and became dangerous indefinitely, but those are more big purchases than emergency preps.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    But minimalism as an idea is pretty dead now I think.
    I disagree. I'm still trying to declutter and get to a more minimalistic level of living. As I'm reducing and re-organizing, I'm finding that I have more than enough of some stocked items and a clearer picture of what I need more of. So, yes, I think minimalism is still alive and kicking - at least at my house.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Next up, making headbands to get my hair out of my face. I’m also considering an Instapot.
    Oh, do get an Instant Pot. You won't be sorry, if I'm any indicator.

I'm glad I bought hand soap every time I ran across a deal; I should have done the same thing with alcohol. But I'm stocked up now.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I wish I could cut my own hair. I am feeling like I need to break out a polyester leisure suit.
    I've been cutting my own hair for years and even cut my grandson's hair yesterday.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh, do get an Instant Pot. You won't be sorry, if I'm any indicator.

I'm glad I bought hand soap every time I ran across a deal; I should have done the same thing with alcohol. But I'm stocked up now.
    Hated mine, pitched it. I had to fight with the lid every time I wanted to use it.

Appliances that are smarter than I am do not get to live in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've been cutting my own hair for years and even cut my grandson's hair yesterday.
    Any recommendations? I actually found some clippers, right before this happened (bought them because a friend was looking, though he picked up a pair the same day). I still need the shaver part.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Any recommendations? I actually found some clippers, right before this happened (bought them because a friend was looking, though he picked up a pair the same day). I still need the shaver part.
    I use a 20+ year old Wahl clipper with various sized comb attachments.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Masks. in the event of another pandemic, I hope I'll have saved my newly acquired masks. Like bae, I am without a sewing machine right now, but really could have used one to make masks for me and DH/DS. I tried the no-sew kind and they didn't work for me.

So, a couple of weeks ago I asked my DD/DSIL if they had considered making masks as a business opportunity, and they jumped on it. They delivered 13 masks to us last weekend. Having a mask that was breathable, fit well, and didn't look like I was trying to hold up the supermarket actually lifted my spirits while shopping inside the store.

I also miss my typical cases-on-hand of Costco diced tomatoes, beans and tomato paste. Our local store has been great, but limited.

We are rethinking our small garden to include more edibles and fewer flowers. I feel more of a sense of urgency to can stuff.

I'm not concerned about my hair because it's usually long enough to pony tail or bun.

But I do value technology and the opportunity to enjoy plays, FaceTime, Zoom, YouTube videos done in people's homes, podcasts, and online classes.

I think about essentials like batteries and first-aid items. I need to be better prepared with those things.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information