Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Doing better.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I suppose some people, for some reason, just like to work.

I would understand if you were making art or scientific discoveries, or something--but stocking shelves?
    I learned long ago that there is a certain nobility to the work that's necessary to keep the trains running and a pride that comes with doing it well. That kind of work rarely gets acclaim, but when it's not being done, people notice. Quickly.

I agree that the health exposure someone in their 70s is creating should be part of their decision, but I can see IL's friend choosing to work both for the occupation and for the ability to make someone else's day when they reach for whatever he has put on the shelf.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When I log into the IRS site there is no place for me to input direct deposit info.
    Here's a hack that worked for me- try putting your address in ALL CAPS. I heard it on NPR's Marketplace the other day and finally was able to get in after a couple of weeks of trying.

Regarding the IRS website: I just tried again two days ago, and I was finally able to get in and put in my information and it was all accepted. So I guess the message is, just keep trying. I kept getting that error code "We don't recognize you" or something like that.. but it finally went through.

Hasn't hit the bank yet, but I have it filed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The behavior I will never understand are people like friends of my sister, a couple. Both are 70 years old, one has HBP and the other is morbidly obese. They live in San Diego and apparently just across the border on the Baja peninsula there's a big outbreak going currently that is swamping hospitals on both sides of the border. This couple decided that they 'need' to go to Mexico to visit one of their sisters, who also is in her 70's and has health issues. How is that in any way rational behavior?

Meanwhile, back here in my little part of the world I'm finally starting to feel better about things. My zip code still has only 27 reported cases out of 48,000 residents, and no new cases for 4 days now. And testing in the city is finally including a decent number of people who haven't shown symptoms, so hopefully we'll be getting to the point where we can start relaxing some of the restrictions on activity because we can actually test and contain new outbreaks before they become major.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The behavior I will never understand are people like friends of my sister, a couple. Both are 70 years old, one has HBP and the other is morbidly obese. They live in San Diego and apparently just across the border on the Baja peninsula there's a big outbreak going currently that is swamping hospitals on both sides of the border. This couple decided that they 'need' to go to Mexico to visit one of their sisters, who also is in her 70's and has health issues. How is that in any way rational behavior?

Meanwhile, back here in my little part of the world I'm finally starting to feel better about things. My zip code still has only 27 reported cases out of 48,000 residents, and no new cases for 4 days now. And testing in the city is finally including a decent number of people who haven't shown symptoms, so hopefully we'll be getting to the point where we can start relaxing some of the restrictions on activity because we can actually test and contain new outbreaks before they become major.
    DH and I are pushing 70, and he states to everyone that he checks off all the boxes of people at risk. Despite the fact that he beats up his body in many ways, he has been religious about his quarantine. He always says "I could die of a lot of things, but I don't want to die of this virus!" We still haven't seen our grandkids 30 minutes away. We don't go anywhere without masks. We haven't been to a "real" store since mid-March. So point being, yes if you are 70-ish, it's a good idea to listen to the experts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Here's a hack that worked for me- try putting your address in ALL CAPS. I heard it on NPR's Marketplace the other day and finally was able to get in after a couple of weeks of trying.
    What we did that worked? We inputted direct deposit information on the IRS non-filers site even though we file. 15 days later we received the stimulus money. And to different accounts than used for prior tax filing. Just a hack that worked in this case. Rob

Yppej
    Jp1 I hope you do get back to normal soon. Didn't California shut down first? If so and that strategy works it should be able to open up first.

We've now gone in a couple of weeks from 1 in 8 workers unemployed to 1 in 6 and already some businesses deciding to shut down permanently. If California could reopen it would be a light at the end of the tunnel for the rest of us.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Update: A star is born?

Totally kidding. I did make the Channel 12 5 PM news. Thankfully, all they aired was my quote that Arizona was not yet ready to reopen. So I don't have to worry about social consequences from the neighbors. Sometimes I really do have a big mouth, it's true. I should not have been disloyal in front of a TV camera like that but luckily, nothing will come of it.

SO and in laws are proud of me. My Mom told me I was impressive and handsome - but she's biased being my Mother. And Carlos, the roofer down the street said I need to be on TV more - he says I get my point across well and very directly. Whatever. I will not be watching myself at 6 PM should they reair my clip. Rob

Why CA won't open up immediately if for no other reasons (although there are other reasons) is the southern part of the state although some of that is every nursing home seems infected or something, the bay area is no longer the epicenter of coranavirus in CA. And there is still minimal testing (less than 1% of the population). But a lot is still done on the local level in terms of shut downs.
    Trees don't grow on money

Just missed the 6 pm news. Shoot. I wanted to look for you.

Thread Information