Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Doing better.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Just missed the 6 pm news. Shoot. I wanted to look for you.
    My friend from my NAU days in Scottsdale called and told me I also made the 6 PM news. This time Ibwas among a few clips of other people they interviewed. I cringe at the thought of viewing myself on TV so I can't tell you my take on how I came across. But Thank You for wanting to see me - I still wonder if we have not crossed paths at some point but just not known we were. Rob

Rob, it’s not disloyal to tell the truth. I am a democrat but we have had some great Republican governors. In 23 years the only bad governor was Gibbons. Congrats!

As others have mentioned the southern part of CA is still struggling, and nursing homes/assisted living facilities seem to be out of control still. But with those exceptions the bay area generally is doing ok. Acting early seems to have done exactly what it was supposed to do. Completely flattened the curve. Bit by bit things are going to start opening back up here. Starting monday a bunch of the hiking parks south of the city are re-opening. I'm actually confident enough about where we are that I may take a midweek day off during next week so I can get out and go for a really long hike.

As long as people are generally not traveling out of their regions I'm optimistic about life here gradually returning to some semblance of normal. If we start letting people from florida/tennesee/georgia/etc come here I'll go back to bunkering down until there's a vaccine.

Normal is definitely going to change though. A friend was telling me that her employer (a major insurance brokerage) is expecting that because of social distancing recommendations they will only be allowing 25% of people in the office at any one time. Since everyone can work from home this is doable. The whole "open office/jam everyone into as tight of a space as possible" concept is likely completely dead at this point.

I drove from suburban Chicago to OH today to dive this weekend. Still within my region - Midwest. Chicago is a hot spot, but with the population density and some folks having parties in the city, numbers there keep going up.

I’m far suburban Cook County. I don’t know anyone first hand with the virus. We’ll be social distancing on the surface. The drive was lovely. About 5 hours but I love being on the road with my favorite music loud. It was very therapeutic. I love driving and have missed it.

jp1 - hope you can get out for a hike. Getting out for a bike ride has been great for my mood. Blows away the cobwebs.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As others have mentioned the southern part of CA is still struggling, and nursing homes/assisted living facilities seem to be out of control still. But with those exceptions the bay area generally is doing ok. Acting early seems to have done exactly what it was supposed to do. Completely flattened the curve. Bit by bit things are going to start opening back up here. Starting monday a bunch of the hiking parks south of the city are re-opening. I'm actually confident enough about where we are that I may take a midweek day off during next week so I can get out and go for a really long hike.

As long as people are generally not traveling out of their regions I'm optimistic about life here gradually returning to some semblance of normal. If we start letting people from florida/tennesee/georgia/etc come here I'll go back to bunkering down until there's a vaccine.

Normal is definitely going to change though. A friend was telling me that her employer (a major insurance brokerage) is expecting that because of social distancing recommendations they will only be allowing 25% of people in the office at any one time. Since everyone can work from home this is doable. The whole "open office/jam everyone into as tight of a space as possible" concept is likely completely dead at this point.
    Just curious, jp1. Do you think many office workers will miss "normal" office life? I find this an intriguing question as for myself, office work sets my teeth on edge. It's not a good fit for me - but working from home would alleviate a lot of what I don't like about office work. I wonder if others see it this way? Rob

I do worry they are going to force us back to the office, they have not extended lockdown yet, and if we have to wear masks 40 hours a week that will be pretty annoying too. Look um I wear mask at the grocery and stuff ok I wear them. But 40 hours isn't a trip to the grocery store, and it just seems COMPLETELY POINTLESS when one can work from home in the comfort of one's home at LESS RISK than going to the office in even the best possible mask. Now the VPN is bad and no priority for anyone to fix apparently (guess they don't plan on us working from home anymore than legally necessary), but one works around it.
    Trees don't grow on money

APM, a mask at the office would be SO annoying. Ridiculous they won’t fix the VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Just curious, jp1. Do you think many office workers will miss "normal" office life? I find this an intriguing question as for myself, office work sets my teeth on edge. It's not a good fit for me - but working from home would alleviate a lot of what I don't like about office work. I wonder if others see it this way? Rob
    My completely informal opinion about this is that there are two groups of people. The first group are people like me. Introvertish people who mostly like working from home but like also getting out for meetings from time to time. (I took 9 work trips between past June and February. Yes, I work from home full time but the reality is that before covid I didn’t just sit at my desk 5 days a week week after week) Let me leave the house once in a while and I’ll be good with continued working from home.

The second group are working from home ‘under duress’. They would much rather work in an office. At my old employer I had a lot of coworkers in NYC. Basically none of them liked working from home during hurricane sandy. They all lived in typically tiny nyc apartments and both liked the socialness of working in an office and the ‘not being stuck in my tiny apartmentness’ of getting away from home every day.

One thing about working at home and somewhat later hours is I'm never tired anymore well except when it's time to sleep (they staggered the shifts initially for less people in the office but also for the poor VPN if we went to work from home - that's why later hours)).

So many times I'd get home from work exhausted, just crushed with fatigue, from all my jobs, later hours with long commutes didn't help, early hours with shorter commutes didn't help, but not anymore. At this point I just want the covid crisis under control and to work from home until then. But yea working from home even with no covid, I could totally get used to it (and more than used to it with no covid as I could hit a coffee place for a break sometimes instead of being very stuck at home), but doesn't mean very many employers would allow it. At my previous job where I was a contractor the full time employees worked from home, but contractors forget it - they had to come to the office, and they loved my work as a contractor, I had fans, but there was no path into that place as a full time employee.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information