Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shame on Me

Geila

Shame on Me

Last week I was so embarrassed. My dogs started barking around 9:30 pm and I look out the window and it's dark out and there is a man with a flashlight at my front gate. I go out to see what is going on and it's a UPS driver out making deliveries. He's come up from a neighboring city to help our regular guy who is inundated. He doesn't know the area and it's dark so he can barely see house numbers. He is out on foot with his flashlight going up and down the block trying to find delivery addresses. I felt horrible. I had been ordering books to keep myself entertained. Without any thought whatsoever at how all these increased deliveries would affect the people who's job it is to bring us everything we buy so easily online. And they were all being shipped piecemeal so one order would be broken up into like seven deliveries.

Anyone else find themselves uncomfortably realizing how much we spoil ourselves without any thought to how it affects others? Or have any moments of personal shame during this situation?

I usually pack my lunch (still working), but today I decided to treat myself by going through a drive-through. I do feel guilty that these folks are being paid so little for taking such great risks. I did complement the young man at the window about how quickly they were processing the long line.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Invest in
    amazon! Your stock won’t go down!

Actually I've stuck to principles as much as I could stand so not hugely. I have not ordered books since early March (well the thing was not so huge and on the mind then). I don't even have an ereader or smart phone at this point as an alternative, not that there is anything wrong with those of course, I just don't have them.

I've mostly stuck to ordering necessities, ordered a desk some nice Ikea people delivered very early on mid March, did order a little chocolate, so what I have a weakness, but basically it's necessities.

I've tried to spread my online business around and not make Amazon even more of a monopoly, so I've ordered a few things from Amazon in this crisis, so has nearly everyone in the country at this point, but I look for alternatives, and even then it's all basics, not even books. I do worry that my little willing to share and make sure I consider others and solidarity forever self will be overtaken by hoarding and greed of others sometimes, so I order stuff when I have to. But pleasure shopping for things just for the fun of it, nah not happening.

Shame maybe here and there but not much, did feel a little shame about the government check after I got Trumps letter, felt like blood money this Trump money, while 2000 people a day die from Trump's handling of this crisis. But then it's not his money anyway!!!
    Trees don't grow on money

I think about the amazon workers and drivers quite a bit. Recently switched to Target for generic items during this time. We have created a monster with amazon IMO.

It's not just Amazon. I ordered some toiletries and OTC meds from Walmart. They have been shipped out in multiple packages over a week from different warehouses.

I shipped my brother a birthday present--a "basket" of stuff that was related: a NY sports team trivia game (because he's huge Yankee fan), along with Cracker Jacks and the more healthy Skinny Pop (all to make up for no baseball this year). Well, they shipped the Skinny Pop first. I wonder what he thought when he got a bag of Skinny Pop popcorn for his birthday, lol. When he sent me the text of him eating it I had to explain that the rest of the gift was on its way. Kind of killed the whole idea.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I usually pack my lunch (still working), but today I decided to treat myself by going through a drive-through. I do feel guilty that these folks are being paid so little for taking such great risks. I did complement the young man at the window about how quickly they were processing the long line.
    I really wanted a burger for lunch-I had skipped breakfast. I tipped $5. You'd think it was Benjamin. I can't imagine how challenging this is for minimum wage workers.

I've ordered less since all my COVID necessities came in, but I think those delivering packages, groceries, and pizza are the lucky ones. Think of the poor meat-processing workers who will be forced to go to work and take part in a grisly lottery to see which of them die, thanks to decisions made by people who will never get their hands dirty.

The delivery drivers is probably not a high risk job, not that I know all the details but it doesn't seem so, the Amazon warehouse workers though are another story, it's pretty high risk, people have died.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information