Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shame on Me

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've ordered less since all my COVID necessities came in, but I think those delivering packages, groceries, and pizza are the lucky ones. Think of the poor meat-processing workers who will be forced to go to work and take part in a grisly lottery to see which of them die, thanks to decisions made by people who will never get their hands dirty.
    And, according to Pence are tested for COVID19 DAILY.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Somehow I doubt that, considering the whining Trump did about being tested once. Maybe someone points a thermometer at them.

I haven't shopped Amazon in years - no prime. I usually do ebay and my only recent order was made yesterday for wheat berries. Lowest price I could find, free shipping and should arrive the 4th.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Originally Posted by frugal-one
    Somehow I doubt that, considering the whining Trump did about being tested once. Maybe someone points a thermometer at them.
    I suspect the "test" is something on the order of, "How are you today, sir?" How quickly can they turn around results for a reliable coronavirus test? Within a couple of hours?

More on topic, our ancient Cuisinart coffeemaker has taken to issuing its "I'm done!" beep sequence not just when it's done brewing but every four minutes afterward, as well. Annoying (very much so when one of us is still sleeping). Switching off the 'maker to silence the beeps also switches off the warming plate, so the coffee gets cold fairly quickly. We just don't drink it that quickly. I'm giving it the ol' reset by leaving it unplugged today; maybe that will magically fix it. But it's likely that after well more than a decade (maybe 15 years?), good old DCC-1000 is shuffling off this mortal (heating) coil.

So today I shopped (on-line) for the next coffeemaker. Found the one I want. But at retail the model we'd want is sold only at Williams-Sonoma and Bed Bath and Beyond in our area. Retail locations for both of those are closed, of course, and their Web sites indicate the model is out of stock, with no idea when new stock will come in. On the manufacturer's Web site, however, there's a Buy Now button -- which leads directly to Amazon, their sales and delivery partner. It appears that, sometimes, you just cannot avoid Amazon.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The delivery drivers is probably not a high risk job, not that I know all the details but it doesn't seem so, the Amazon warehouse workers though are another story, it's pretty high risk, people have died.
    So the virus doesn't live outside the body? It can't live and be reactivated by moisture the way other viruses can?

I posted in another thread, both USPS and Fed EX have been busier then they are at Christmas.

I think that in a lot ways ordering things online (as long as you can do it efficiently) is the best way to get the things you need. It's a lot less risky for all involved than going to the grocery store. Of course that means the drivers are being overwhelmed, so it's kind of a dilemma that way. If this were some other situation I'd recommend cash tipping your drivers but even that now is probably against guidelines. It's a tough one.

It seems a lot of delivery services are advertising for workers. Those poor meat-packing plant employees should consider the less dangerous alternative.

Thread Information