Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’ve got friends that love flying and I’ve got friends that love long road trips. I don’t really enjoy either. Like Iris, I enjoy being someplace else. Getting their is the headache I endure for the joy of being there. But for the foreseeable future I obviously won’t be going anywhere since it’s become clear that the country has decided that the herd immunity mode is the one we’re going to follow.
    I enjoy relatively short road trips--Portland to Seattle is about right--but I'm with those who think the getting there is mostly a bother.

I also dread the actual 'traveling' part of traveling but love to explore new places.

My parents live 1800 miles from us and we have a trip booked to see them in late June. I'm expecting we will have to cancel. I have pondered making it a roadtrip, but none of us enjoys the roadtrip to see my mother-in-law which is less than a third of that distance. We only see my parents once/year and they both have chronic health conditions. I was awake ruminating on this last night. I don't want to never see them again, but traveling there, then self-isolating there for 2 weeks so that we couldn't transmit anything to them would be impossible time- and money-wise.

I "saw" my dad yesterday when I got them connected through Hangouts. It really is not a substitute, and perhaps made the distance more painful. I could tell he was very happy to see us, though, so we'll use that until things resolve.

I am always comfortable when I fly and have no problem, even on the many 12 hour long flights that I have made to New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I am always comfortable when I fly and have no problem, even on the many 12 hour long flights that I have made to New Zealand.
    Me, too, Lon! (Although on those long 12-hour flights, business class makes it MUCH nicer!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hate flying commercial, but I also hate anything much longer than a five hour road trip. I don’t have any trips planned soon, but if I needed to fly commercially I would.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE flying. Car trips? I'm done at about 3 hours. 3h in a plane is a whole lotta miles!

For all of you that actually like flying, what is it exactly that you like? Help me understand because for the life of me I canít think of much of anything about the current flying experience that I enjoy, other than that moment when Iím walking out of the airport after it is over.

canít think of much of anything about the current flying experience that I enjoy
    I'm right there with you jp. There's the annoying queueing before venturing onto the jetway. There's the people that try to bring on too much/too large luggage and bump me going down the aisle or struggle to put it in the overhead, stopping the boarding process. There's inevitably someone manspreading next to me and encroaching on my space. There's the loud chewing/smacking noises, people watching media on their devices without headphones and people with too much cologne or ones that brought overly fragrant food on board (here's looking at you tunafish sandwich). Once in a while a kid kicking my seat but more often its an adult constantly shifting in their seat and grabbing the back of my seat as they do so.

I just don't like humanity so close up.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For all of you that actually like flying, what is it exactly that you like? Help me understand because for the life of me I can’t think of much of anything about the current flying experience that I enjoy, other than that moment when I’m walking out of the airport after it is over.
    My big disclaimer to what I'm about to say is that being a frequent flier, I have TSA pre-check, priority status for boarding, and a membership at a very comfortable airline club. All of that is almost a pre-requisite for enjoying airline travel, I'll admit it. But that said...

First of all, I love airports--they buzz with an energy level like NYC. Everyone is going somewhere and everyone has a story, which makes airports a very romantic place to be. There are places to eat and places to window shop and places to people-watch. And there's your own anticipation and excitement about your trip.

On the plane, you are experiencing a miracle of technology. You climb up above the clouds and you have left all of your cares and responsibilities 30,000 feet below. You don't have to say to yourself, "I should do the dishes." or "I should mow the lawn" or "I should get a work-out in." Now you're saying, "Hmm, should I spend the next couple of hours reading a book or sleeping?" Gee, what a hard choice. As for the other passengers, there are some annoying people, but most people have the good graces not to bother you and the ones who do talk I've found to be pleasant and polite.

And then you can look down and see how small we really are. It's a very humbling experience.

As Louis C.K. said it so well:

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, yes! I loved that Louis CK clip. I miss him.

But that doesn’t make me love flying on a plane. Once the plane takes off I sometimes sorta enjoy it, but it takes so much time to drive to airport, check in, sit around, board, sit around, and deplane, get baggage, find transportation, etc. it needs to be a big trip for me to do that.

Thread Information