Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can't think of anything that would make flying "comfortable." Even if I were fully vaccinated, flying is anything but comfortable. Maybe with door-to-door concierge delivery to the airport and a first-class seat. Or a private plane.
    When I fly now, it has to be Iceland Air, because they gave me a bazillion Saga Miles a while ago for helping out on a horrid day with some in-flight medical events, and now I fly free, in "Saga Class", which is about as first-class as the Icelanders manage - comfortable but not stupid-luxurious.

Yppej
    Private plane or helicopter.

I love to fly. Holding tickets to Boston for September that I'm going to have to get a refund for. I am going to have to take a wait see before I get on again. DH gets sick every time we fly and I don't see us doing it without masks and sanitizer.

I don’t like flying anyway. Last time I flew was 2015. Much prefer driving. I’ve driven 2 days each way multiple times to avoid flying. The drives are fabulous sight seeing. So much pretty country.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I don’t like flying anyway. Last time I flew was 2015. Much prefer driving. I’ve driven 2 days each way multiple times to avoid flying. The drives are fabulous sight seeing. So much pretty country.
    A hunch of mine, Tradd, is that for those who can afford them post Covid-19, road trips are going to become much more popular. Especially if gas stays cheap for awhile. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    A hunch of mine, Tradd, is that for those who can afford them post Covid-19, road trips are going to become much more popular. Especially if gas stays cheap for awhile. Rob
    It's a crap shoot. A 2 hour flight is 2d driving. 450 miles is about my max. So a lot of bathroom stops, hotel rooms, some eateries....that is a lot of exposure to who knows what/who knows where as opposed to the flight. And no, I'm not considering flights this year.

We're opening up states without a decline in cases anywhere! So anyone who doesn't believe in the 2nd wave.......well.....I'll stop there. And I'll be wearing my mask!

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    We've been doing road trips exclusively for the past 10 years or so. Our next trip was supposed to be a 6 to 8 week trip through the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana and perhaps Idaho with our camper. We're holding off on that one until things start opening up a little more but I suspect we'll leave in mid June. Other than trips outside this continent, I don't see the need to ever fly again.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Gardnr... I'm interested in hearing your perspectives on the following situation:

I volunteered to manage the Master Gardener volunteers who provide support for the gardens around a local community hall. So, I arranged to have 3 of us meet today for clean-up/cut-backs, etc. I knew that one of the 4 volunteers is an immunology/allergy physician with a practice in Burlington.

So I packed up my stuff which included 2 masks (my main one and a back-up). We happened to pull up to the site at the same time. She emerged not wearing a mask. I didn't take mine out. We kept a good distance from each other while we talked and pruned and weeded. I brought up the mask thing and she said she had one but she had waited to see what I did. She said she felt comfortable in that we are outside and keeping distance from each other.

What do you think? Was that risky?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am not ready to give up one or two final trips to Europe or Asia, but I don’t want to fly now or in near future. And god I hate car trips, driving more than 6 hours was a big nope. But something will have to give.

I actually love car trips. One of my favorite memories is a car trip with my daughter from Houston, TX to NJ. We kept it semi-scheduled with spontaneous trips along the way. We bonded, we fought over the music, and we discovered so many awesome things.

Sometimes when I am coming back from a long stressful business trip I actually have to suppress urges to take my car out of the airport parking lot and just hit the highway to Destination Nowhere. It's kind of weird, but just driving along enjoying the scenery is so calming.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information