Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May Day is pretty much dead in the USA now

Born in L.A.-NYC 2nd Home-Rustbelt is home base
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I remember in elementary school, they would gather the classes out on the playground and have several May poles set up. We would do the weaving in and out with our strands of... I think crepe paper... turning the pole into a braid of color. And the principal would ALWAYS where a pink suit jacket! Haven't thought of that in decades. Thanks!
    Didn't know nothing about it. Would have loved to see a film or video on the weaving. All I have is the old archival material.

Quote Originally Posted by invisibleflash View Post
    Didn't know nothing about it. Would have loved to see a film or video on the weaving. All I have is the old archival material.
    That shared experience placed online within SLF is the joy of this site.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I can't remember ever understanding what culture May Day came from. I remember seeing old reels and Disney type films about it, but the only reference I can remember in the last decade plus, was on a sign outside an exotic dance studio a few years back, when I had to go way out of my normal driving way.
    Wasn't it kind of a Medieval thing in Europe/Britain? To celebrate the end of winter?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    May Day became the Communist Labor Day, I believe.
    I think we are celebrating it Soviet style this year. Long lines to get into stores, many basics sold out, and what's left is overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Be careful, IL. If you promote iHermann too well, you will be invaded by people wanting to live there for all its charms thereby destroying it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information