Thread: What Could Be Simpler Than Good Meals Delivered To Your Residence & No Cooking?

What Could Be Simpler Than Good Meals Delivered To Your Residence & No Cooking?

Great meals from your local eateries can be ordered online through GRUBHUB.COM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Great meals from your local eateries can be ordered online through GRUBHUB.COM.
    That is true, but, right now, Grub Hub, UberEats, DoorDash, and others are taking big cuts of each restaurant order for delivery and the on-line ordering mechanism they provide -- up to 30% of the order total. I have seen several reports from restaurateurs declaring that takeout is barely keeping their places afloat, but that the high fees charged by the delivery companies make the whole thing unsustainable for the restaurants long-term. They're going to haggle it out in court.

Meanwhile, though, it is much better to call the restaurant directly, place your order, and pick it up. That way, the restaurant gets all of the money from your order. Second best is to only call on restaurants with their own deliver people.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We pick up our own takeout. I don’t want another person involved in the process.

Just ordered Thai food thru Grubhub tonight!

When we do takeout we go get it curbside. I don't want another set of hands as well as the vehicle, involved in touching our order. And we are tipping 25% minimum.

Driving to the restruant to pick up food is terribly inconvenient and I have had no trouble with Grubhub or Instacart delivering or the cost.

When we've wanted takeout during covid times we've driven to the restaurant and picked it up. It's easy, the restaurant keeps the full cost, and one less person touches the containers. And it probably has a shorter period of time between leaving the kitchen and entering our mouths.

San Francisco passed a law regulating the amount of commission that Door Dash and the like can charge the restaurant. Door Dash (I haven't heard about the others) decided to stop offering service to Treasure Island as a result. (Treasure Island is a small former military post in the bay about 5 minutes from downtown San Francisco by car. It's not hard to get to but going there also requires spending 5 minutes coming back.) I don't really blame Door Dash. None of the restaurants they are delivering from are in downtown SF. That's all pretty well shut down, so it's more like a 20 minute minimum delivery for the driver all told.

Around here, there are none of the app-oriented delivery services operational.

The Covid situation has however hugely increased the number of local restaurants that are doing takeout, and in some cases even delivery. Hopefully this will persist after the crisis.

I want my food as fast as possible, don’t want the restaurants to lose money to a delivery service and someone else touching it.

We have hardly any restaurants here as it is... a pizza/Italian place, an upscale restaurant, an "American/Thai" place and a mid-range restaurant. The mid-range restaurant started offering take-out a couple of weeks ago, so we thought we'd try it--and everyone on the island had the same idea. We waited in a line that looked like the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel at 8:30am.

Unfortunately our food choice was not optimal--fish and chips--so by the time we got home they were soggy and greasy, and the price was high for an at-home experience when you sacrifice the restaurant ambience.

We haven't gotten take-out since, but I'm sure we'll try again and order something more portable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information