Thread: Cordcutting streaming services

Cordcutting streaming services

Anyone have any advice on the following:

www.fubo.tv
    tv.youtube.com
    hululive.com

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    hululive.com
    My MiL has Hulu with Live TV. It works pretty well. Quality picture and sound, good variety. Possibly the biggest complaint I have is that the "channel" lineup is not intuitive for those who have spent their lives twiddling a tuner knob or pressing CHANNEL ⬆︎⬇︎ on a remote. When the TV powers up, you get a screen and you have to choose Live TV off a menu and then choose programming by network or station ID. There is no "Channel 4" as such; you have to select "WCCO-TV". They could have made that part easier (SMOP). But the service gives MiL everything she got out of Comcast cable for a little less than half the price (minus cable local access if that's important).

I've seen in other on-line forums that YouTube TV offers a lot of bang for the buck (number of services offered for what's charged). If one does not have an objection to being part of the Googleplex (Google owns YouTube), that might be a very attractive option as well.

(don't @ me. I know full well Hulu is selling info about what's being watched and when, "just like YouTube". Hulu, at least, is far more open about it.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

haha....I didn't read this thread originally because I thought "cord cutting" had something to do with log splitting. My nouveau Vermont-ness is showing, I guess.

Anyway, now that I know it's about cutting a umbilical cord with cable tv, my son tells us we should do the same and simply subscribe to Fubo. He doesn't have cable and he gets everything he needs from that service.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The problem is you have to know what you want to watch and where it’s located. You can’t just channel surf. My son had one service and it was a giant PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The problem is you have to know what you want to watch and where it’s located. You can’t just channel surf. My son had one service and it was a giant PIA.
    Yeah, I looked at the services and none of them floated my boat. I have a TV with a digital antenna (the old rabbit ears) for local news and PBS. I also donate $5/month to PBS and that gets me access to a lot of stuff via their Passport streaming service, like all of Downtown Abbey, American Experience, etc.

We feel cable is worth the cost. Every 2 year we switch between the companies to keep the price down.

We are doing the trial of Fubo and it has many channels. It does have a guide that works well and you can put your favorite channels at the top of the list. It does have a dvr to record shows. So far, it is ok. It does not have PBS which I will miss but can get that on regular tv if so choose. I did a comparison of all the streaming options and this came up with the most watched of our channels. DH is tickled with the sports options and I especially like the movie channels. Have just had it for one day so will check it out further but have a feeling we will be getting rid of cable and save about $40/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can channel surf with Fubo. It has a pretty good guide. DH is a channel surfer.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    You tube has so much info on it, we tend to watch that, amazon prime and Netflix. No cable.
    Youtube has nightly news updated every day.
    Sewing shows, cooking shows, history, travel, castle renovation, nature, old westerns, gardening and so on all on you tube. I watch that when I sew. We watch a lot of old Carol Burnett, Johnny Carson and Jay Leno (comedy and old cars), I love Lucy, the honeymooners, and laugh hysterically. Hilarity without bashing people. Saves thousands a year. And way better for our mental health.

Also there is an app you can put on your phone or iPad called simple radio. You can listen to news, rock and roll, sports, classical, and even disco music while you clean the house. Me and Donna Summer make a great cleaning duo.

We do not have cable TV in the city and never have. For plain vanilla network, our flat antannae works. But since I retired I have signed up for too many streaming services: Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and recently Acorn. I’m not getting enjoyment out of all the services.

I’m going to finish the current season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and then drop HBO, Acorn as well.

Thread Information