Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May Purge

May Purge

I didn't see a May Purge, so I will get it started!

In our spare bedroom we have a walk-in closet that we have has always referred to as the "library". Simply because it has our main tall book case. Granted we have books stashed all over the house, but this has always been the main bookcase.

After 38 years of having kids in our house, the youngest gets married next month and is moving out. I almost get giddy thinking about it! I am on a new quest to read
    24 books this year and they have been piling up on my desk, so I decided to purge the "library".

Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I have a HUGE box that is overflowing by 2 feet of old books. I can't wait for dd to get home from work and for her go through her books. Next to me, she is the least sentimental so it I anticipate another box going out!

I put my 6 new books on the shelf and the book case is nearly full. What the hell? How can that be? I have this huge box - I bet 50 books going out. *sigh*

I empathize. I had an enormous collection of cookbooks and I loved each one for different reasons. I finally got the number down to one shelf and here they are growing again.

Now my purge is the riding lawn mower. I needed this big guy when mowing over 2 acres on the farm. I moved into a brand new house in town after DH's passing and needed my tractor for moving soil, manure, plants, pots, massive amounts of mulch over the past 6 years as well as the mowing. Recently I added a fence for my little dog and this rugged mower is too big. I have done the major landscaping, will hire the adding of mulch every three years so it is time to downsize. I am looking at cordless lawn mower but having a hard time deciding if I need a walk behind or a self propelled version.

Do you purge and substitute?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Sometimes I purge and replace.

So far this month I have sent 3 items to new homes. Dog clippers to a neighbor. Two pairs of brand new white athletic shoes, neither of which fit me well enough to wear, to my daughter, who passed one on to her Son’s girl friend. It feels good to continue to thin out the things that don’t meet my needs, while they do for someone else.

Yppej
    I thought with more time at home I would declutter, but instead I am afraid to throw things out. What if no matter how bad shape this is in I can't get another one and have to go back to it someday? Stores being closed has definitely impacted me psychologically. An example is uncomfortable shoes where the lining fell out.

I gave away a large shopping bag of plastic egg cartons to someone who was requesting them on the local FB giving page. It probably doesn't really count as purging, since I was saving them for her, but it was nice to send them on for another use rather than just putting them in my recycling bin.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I gave away a large shopping bag of plastic egg cartons to someone who was requesting them on the local FB giving page. It probably doesn't really count as purging, since I was saving them for her, but it was nice to send them on for another use rather than just putting them in my recycling bin.
    If it leaves your home, it is a purge And better yet, your recycled them

My kids had 10 big plastic bins in our shed. They went through it and found $1600 in savings bonds which were old and ready to be cashed in. They kept one bin and everything else went in our trash. We now have extra room out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My kids had 10 big plastic bins in our shed. They went through it and found $1600 in savings bonds which were old and ready to be cashed in. They kept one bin and everything else went in our trash. We now have extra room out there.
    That is SO cool, Terry!!

Man is that a score for you and yours, TT.

Thread Information