Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Is COVID exposing a "weak, sniveling" culture?

  1. #21
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16,346
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

    Seems like it all will quickly devolve into class war, ageist wars, big vs small government war of words, 1% vs 99% war...all war of words of course.
    But carry on!

    add to the list above: Trump supporters vs. Trump detractors. Doh, so obvious dont know how I forgot that.

  2. #22
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,048
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    add to the list above: Trump supporters vs. Trump detractors. Doh, so obvious dont know how I forgot that.
    In some circles it's a moving target, Bush supporter, Obama hater, Trump supporter are all popular terms of derision. They're necessary to separate the good from the bad.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    In some circles it's a moving target, Bush supporter, Obama hater, Trump supporter are all popular terms of derision. They're necessary to separate the good from the bad.
    Read this today... quote by G.K. Chesterton

    "Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."

  4. #24
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Decimated would be 10%. I have heard on the news that some experts expect the next monthly report to show 40% unemployment.
    40% unemployment vs 50% dead folks in nursing homes (your stat from a different thread). Talk about decimated.i think even a conservative like Ldahl trying to be even keel would struggle to say that 50% dead people in nursing homes is anything other than f’ing horrific.

    But sure. Old people are useless and gonna die in a year or two. Just push that timeline up a bit. No big deal. Smh.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9,489
    Many people in their 60’s have 20 more years and we just retired and might want to actually enjoy them. Now kids are getting a syndrome that is really bad from the virus. Are they expendable too?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,902
    Neither the pandemic nor the economic consequences had to be so bad if we had decent people in power and decent policy.

    (and yes it reveals a heck of a lot of latent ageism, I mean sure there are old people for whom death might in some cases be blessing, say those with dementia etc., but it really admits no generalization, there are old people with good healthy lucid years left).

    long term (after this pandemic is over) result of this is we aren't even going to have adequate medical personnel I suspect. Some because they have died tragically, but also how many will continue to be in that field after the pandemic passes in a country that can't even provide adequate PPE, rather than either: 1) leaving the country, really the best idea if it's feasible and skillsets and entanglements allow or 2) leaving the profession.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    40% unemployment vs 50% dead folks in nursing homes (your stat from a different thread). Talk about decimated.i think even a conservative like Ldahl trying to be even keel would struggle to say that 50% dead people in nursing homes is anything other than f’ing horrific.

    But sure. Old people are useless and gonna die in a year or two. Just push that timeline up a bit. No big deal. Smh.
    Once again you are fact challenged. It is not 50% dead in nursing homes. In the very hardest hit facilities it is maybe half who contract the virus, and of those around half who die. So more like 25% in worst case scenarios.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Many people in their 60’s have 20 more years and we just retired and might want to actually enjoy them. Now kids are getting a syndrome that is really bad from the virus. Are they expendable too?
    What percent of people in their 60's are in nursing homes? The average age of a corona death is in their 80's.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,203
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Neither the pandemic nor the economic consequences had to be so bad if we had decent people in power and decent policy.

    (and yes it reveals a heck of a lot of latent ageism, I mean sure there are old people for whom death might in some cases be blessing, say those with dementia etc., but it really admits no generalization, there are old people with good healthy lucid years left).

    long term (after this pandemic is over) result of this is we aren't even going to have adequate medical personnel I suspect. Some because they have died tragically, but also how many will continue to be in that field after the pandemic passes in a country that can't even provide adequate PPE, rather than either: 1) leaving the country, really the best idea if it's feasible and skillsets and entanglements allow or 2) leaving the profession.
    People with healthy years ahead are unlikely to die from this. For instance, in my state 97.5% of those who die have underlying medical conditions.

  10. #30
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Once again you are fact challenged. It is not 50% dead in nursing homes. In the very hardest hit facilities it is maybe half who contract the virus, and of those around half who die. So more like 25% in worst case scenarios.
    25% dead in a nursing home is a win for you? Seriously?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •