Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So where do you stand?

Yppej
    Some beachfront communities in my state are saying they won't do seasonal water supply turn ons. If I paid real estate taxes on a second home and couldn't use it I'd be irate. People sitting in their cabin are not hurting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Some beachfront communities in my state are saying they won't do seasonal water supply turn ons. If I paid real estate taxes on a second home and couldn't use it I'd be irate. People sitting in their cabin are not hurting anyone.
    Our experience in my community is that people come to the cabin, and then don't sit there.

They go into the village and shop at the market. (And strip it of supplies that they forgot to bring with them.) They wander the streets of the village looking confused that the other stores aren't open. They call 911 when they get stung by a bee, and we have to respond. They don't wear masks, or exercise other social distancing techniques reliably.

Basically, they behave like they are in vacation in Disneyland.

I used to be a libertarian, but this event has reinforced my experience that basically enough people don't behave well that there will be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Our experience in my community is that people come to the cabin, and then don't sit there.

They go into the village and shop at the market. (And strip it of supplies that they forgot to bring with them.) They wander the streets of the village looking confused that the other stores aren't open. They call 911 when they get stung by a bee, and we have to respond. They don't wear masks, or exercise other social distancing techniques reliably.

Basically, they behave like they are in vacation in Disneyland.

I used to be a libertarian, but this event has reinforced my experience that basically enough people don't behave well that there will be problems.
    So true. When we go to our cabin, we hunker down and don't go into the community. I couldn't live with myself if infection was my fault (although we hunker down here as well). Hub was there for 17 days (he is work-at-home). When he ran out of food, I packed up a bunch, drove it up there, stayed 4d and came back home so he could continue his stay for another week without running out of food. We haven't gone back for 3 weeks now. I'm kinda due for a mountain breath!

Going to a 2nd home is usually a playground and some people think they are entitled-without a thought to others or the stress on a critical access healthcare/EMS system!

Seems like many people have two homes or a home and a cabin and go from one to the other, for various reasons. It seems like some people wanted to go to the rural location during the pandemic to get away from the city density. My friend says they are not turning on the seasonal water at her cabin, either. She is in NJ and the cabin is in upstate NY.

Perhaps it is different elsewhere but here there is a standard for water that has to be met by public health treatment standards,, staffing and regular supervision, all of which cost a lot of money to maintain. We don't start up the systems until there is a clear direction and ongoing approval from public health and sufficient demand in that order. It is not just a matter of turning on a garden hose.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Perhaps it is different elsewhere but here there is a standard for water that has to be met by public health treatment standards,, staffing and regular supervision, all of which cost a lot of money to maintain. We don't start up the systems until there is a clear direction and ongoing approval from public health and sufficient demand in that order. It is not just a matter of turning on a garden hose.
    In my friend's case, it had nothing to do with standards and everything to do with keeping people from going there from the NYC area. If they had no running water, they could not come.

Getting ready to go out on a sunset cruise. There will be 5 of us, my friend is picking us up at our dock. Traffic was busy today and some things are opening up.

so far no one we know has gotten sick. My father is having trouble as the assisted living home he is in won’t let him leave his room.

My parents are in same boat. Are you in the same town, or far away like we are?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    We have a monthly minimum for any home that is on the city water/sewer system. Doesn't matter if we use an ounce or not. The city has to pay the work team as well as the physical plant costs. Not their problem if we are present or not. We pay for the privilege.

Thankfully our mom is in independent living. They can try to keep them in but since they dont provide meals or services, it is more apartment like. She agreed she wanted to get out so we brought her home for Mother's Day. Really helped her since Comcast, the worst company, has not been able to provide her repair to her cable box for over a week. She is watching TV and we are going to have a good meal. Then we will all wash our hands and take her home.

Thread Information