Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    human contact. the one thing that has been so banned for months lately …
    Did someone say "physical contact"?

Here is my question for the day:

How can Reddit be worth $3 billion when it hasn’t turned a profit? The headline news I just googled said that Reddit did not turn a profit in 2019 and hasn’t since its inception.

I am a big Reddit user. It is an old fashion platform that is text based. I don’t see ads if they’re there, it doesn’t host photos for the most part Although its sister site, IMGUR, will host an image and videos that link on Reddit.I just don’t understand how something like Reddit is valued.

Likewise, I remember year after year after year of Amazon not turning a profit and I wondered how Amazon survived. Jeff Bezos started out selling books because the built in stock control and product ID System of ISBN Coupled with the ease of shipping books ( no breakage no weird packaging) Made books an attractive product for him to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How can Reddit be worth $3 billion when it hasn’t turned a profit? The headline news I just googled said that Reddit did not turn a profit in 2019 and hasn’t since its inception.
    You're confusing "turning a profit" with "making money". Rest assured everyone associated with Reddit is making money, they're just making sure it doesn't show up on their balance sheet as taxable income.

Quoting From https://www.comparably.com/companies/reddit/salaries

How much do people at reddit get paid? See the latest salaries by department and job title. The average estimated annual salary, including base and bonus, at reddit is $124,430, or $59 per hour, while the estimated median salary is $151,311, or $72 per hour. At reddit, the highest paid job is a Director of Engineering at $192,116 annually and the lowest is a CS Rep at $55,209 annually. Average reddit salaries by department include: Customer Support at $71,297, Business Development at $112,081, Product at $132,324, and Marketing at $192,539. Half of reddit salaries are above $151,311.

You're also confusing market value with actual value. That $3 billion is what investors were willing to pay for it based on their belief it will be worth more than that in the future. Wikipedia has a more complete overview of the various prices Reddit has been worth as it was bought and sold various times.

In the woodlot, is a coppice considered one tree (one root with more than one trunk growing out of it) or a number of trees with a shared root system?

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    In the woodlot, is a coppice considered one tree (one root with more than one trunk growing out of it) or a number of trees with a shared root system?
    Well, people have been harvesting coppices for firewood for years but with great forethought and planning to ensure a steady supply of harvestable trunks from each tree, IMHO. Good question.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I thought “coppice” was the verb for cutting down to the roots, and “copse” was the noun for the grove maintained for that purpose.

I thought a coppice was the group of trees, cut back. Not one, not a verb? I think a copse is just a group of trees.

A Copse In Winter.

John Clare 1793 (Helpston) – 1864 (St Andrew's Hospital)

Shades though you're leafless, save the bramble-spear
    Whose weather-beaten leaves, of purple stain,
    In hardy stubbornness cling all the year
    To their old thorns, till Spring buds new again;
    Shades, still I love you better than the plain,
    For here I find the earliest flowers that blow,
    While on the bare blea bank do yet remain
    Old winter's traces, little heaps of snow.
    Beneath your ashen roots, primroses grow
    From dead grass tufts and matted moss, once more;
    Sweet beds of violets dare again be seen
    In their deep purple pride; and, gay display'd,
    The crow-flowers, creeping from the naked green,
    Add early beauties to your sheltering shade.

I hope Catherine sees this post, but I’m sure others will have the answer to my naïve question.

When you fly first class and business class, and you have access to those first class/business class lounges, do you have to pay for the food in those places? I mean I assume that you do but I have to ask.

In these Covid times when I’m not flying anywhere but would really like to go to Europe, I’m looking at the cost of first class and business class to Europe. There’s no way I would pay first class prices. I could maybe pay business class. The thing that’s important to me is having a level of privacy and room in the long flight.

I do not care about all of the other dumb perks such as early check-in, unlimited baggage, access to the posh lounges, Board when you want to, free drinks including champagne, better food served, get off the plane first. None of those have appealed to me and I would not pay extra for them. But man, the idea of lying down and stretching out to sleep for a few hours is pretty good.

No, once you are in the lounges, you get free food, free booze (except for premium brands), free newspapers, free wifi--pretty much everything is free. The food isn't meals of course--it's usually soups, salads, sweets, stuff like that.

It's awesome. I have paid for the airline lounge for United for years, and it's one of those experiences that has unfortunately grown from a luxury to a necessity.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    No, once you are in the lounges, you get free food, free booze (except for premium brands), free newspapers, free wifi--pretty much everything is free. The food isn't meals of course--it's usually soups, salads, sweets, stuff like that.

It's awesome. I have paid for the airline lounge for United for years, and it's one of those experiences that has unfortunately grown from a luxury to a necessity.
    Hunh! Ok then.

You get free Wi-Fi in the airports I’ve been in, in recent years. certainly many years ago that wasn’t the case tho.

Thread Information