Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Masks:

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0203/v1

Apples, oranges, and confusion. Some deliberate.

Yppej, you’ve had it explained to you that cloth face coverings keep OTHERS. safe. You steadfastly ignore that fact. Can we assume that you simply don’t give a crap about other people? Are you one of those people who refuses to cough into your elbow? All I can say is thank god you live in a different state from me. Most of the people in my state show signs of caring about others. Clearly you don’t.

Someone who has actually studied how covid is transmitted. TLDR, until there is a vaccine or effective treatment for people who have contracted it people should not go to restaurants, bars or crowded offices. Social distancing only works when you are just briefly interacting with infected people. Not when you are spending an hour or two in their proximity.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Someone who has actually studied how covid is transmitted. TLDR, until there is a vaccine or effective treatment for people who have contracted it people should not go to restaurants, bars or crowded offices. Social distancing only works when you are just briefly interacting with infected people. Not when you are spending an hour or two in their proximity.
    ok but they are going to force people back to offices soon anyway or what get them to quit with no unemployment (which I have considered fwiw) and classrooms for that matter etc. (risky for teachers).

All I can say is thank god you live in a different state from me. Most of the people in my state show signs of caring about others.
    yes this is what I see, although that's just the grocery store because I haven't been much of anywhere since this started. And well people wear them outside as well, which might be a bit overkill if you aren't getting near anyone
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Masks:

I see this is not peer reviewed. I liked the first comment about how the non financial costs of wearing masks was ignored in the article.

Yppej
    Yppej, you’ve had it explained to you that cloth face coverings keep OTHERS. safe. You steadfastly ignore that fact. Can we assume that you simply don’t give a crap about other people? Are you one of those people who refuses to cough into your elbow? All I can say is thank god you live in a different state from me. Most of the people in my state show signs of caring about others. Clearly you don’t.
    I do cough into my elbow, I do keep my distance from people, and I follow my state"s directive on masks while I do not like it. Since this began I have only seen my elderly parents 3 times at a distance of greater than 10 feet, including on Mother's Day when I did not hug my mom. It is not easy.

There are numerous people at work who come up in close proximity to me in non customer areas not wearing a mask including both managers. I don't do that to others. I keep my distance except for one person who lives in my household. You know next to nothing about me, yet you repeatedly criticize me and attack me personally because I disagree with you on policy.

The reason I’m so frustrated with the anti-maskers is because we’ve now spent nearly two months with everything shutdown and we have little to show for it and will soon see a big uptick in cases because 1) a lot of the country is opening up too soon and too quickly, and 2) a not insignificant chunk of the population refuses to wear masks to reduce their ability to infect and kill other people. Other countries are starting to open up after similar lengths of shutdown but don’t have the same two issues we have. They will recover both economically and virologically much more quickly than the US.

And in the meantime the federal efforts at implementing tracking and tracing, critical for re-opening safely have now gotten to the point of implementing it for the staff at the White House but no where else.

I apologize for attacking you in particular. If we had other outspoken anti-maskers on this board I would be attacking them with equal vehemence because widespread mask wearing is the only way we’re going to be able to get back to any semblance of normal before there’s a vaccine. Unless we, alternatively, decide that a million dead people per year until we reach herd immunity is acceptable.

Yppej
    The reason I’m so frustrated with the anti-maskers is because we’ve now spent nearly two months with everything shutdown and we have little to show for it and will soon see a big uptick in cases because 1) a lot of the country is opening up too soon and too quickly, and 2) a not insignificant chunk of the population refuses to wear masks to reduce their ability to infect and kill other people. Other countries are starting to open up after similar lengths of shutdown but don’t have the same two issues we have. They will recover both economically and virologically much more quickly than the US.

And in the meantime the federal efforts at implementing tracking and tracing, critical for re-opening safely have now gotten to the point of implementing it for the staff at the White House but no where else.

I apologize for attacking you in particular. If we had other outspoken anti-maskers on this board I would be attacking them with equal vehemence because widespread mask wearing is the only way we’re going to be able to get back to any semblance of normal before there’s a vaccine. Unless we, alternatively, decide that a million dead people per year until we reach herd immunity is acceptable.
    I do not think masks is the only way. I think compelling people in high risk groups to stay home is better. China did that. I responded in this vein in more detail on the Coronavirus thread.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I do not think masks is the only way. I think compelling people in high risk groups to stay home is better. China did that. I responded in this vein in more detail on the Coronavirus thread.
    one of the arguments I have seen from mask protesters is the guidelines of various states violate their constitutional rights. Since the data suggests African Americans are disproportionately affected as well as seniors, I’m kind of thinking picking out groups of the high risk and order them to stay home will open a new can of worms.

i am high risk. Almost seventy and asthmatic. Never smoked anything ever. I don’t know when I’ll see my young grandchildren In person again which breaks my heart. I am self isolating and when I do go out I wear a mask and keep as far away from others as possible. Does that mean I should impose my beliefs on others? Is it morally or constitutionally right? I don’t know.

Sometimes I think I should just go see my grandkids and risk dying, but I love them too much to put their health at risk.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Masks:

in the recommendations they reference “morally unacceptable harm”. There is certainly a lot of that in society today. I liken not wearing a mask to drunk driving. You might get home with no problems and you might kill a family. Worth the risk?

Yesterday a friend of ours(for 35+ years, so we know their kids well) found out her daughter with a newborn is covid positive. She took the baby to her senior age parents house on Mother’s Day, even though they live in a state with stay at home orders and high amount of cases. Now the whole family is full of self blame, remorse and frantic anxiety.

Thread Information