Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

I'm skeptical of a vaccine, for the reasons you mentioned--along the lines of "Why can't we cure the common cold?" I've never had a flu shot, for one reason because they rarely seem to target whichever strain is going around. It's hard to hit a moving target.

I doubt we will ever have a effective vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I doubt we will ever have a effective vaccine.
    Well that's a chilling prospect, given we have all been told to stay home until we get a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well that's a chilling prospect, given we have all been told to stay home until we get a vaccine.
    The government bureaucrats have to keep the population calm.

They may not be a vaccine, but there will be treatments, protocols, adaptations, etc.

well there are other ways to handle it besides just stay at home and get a vaccine, even though an effective vaccine or truly effect therapeutic is EVERY country's ultimate dream, as other ways of handling it are costly and imperfect (test, trace, quarantine, isolate, sometimes mask in public (depending on if any cases still exist) AND in some cases rolling shut downs, not permanent shutdowns, but when a bunch of cases appear). That's part of why we aren't allowed in other countries, you think they want some U.S. tourist to mess things up and cause another shut down with all that entails, just because we are some huge disease reservoir, I don't think so. Of course in the EU it's political if a country is letting Sweden in because they are also a disease reservoir.

But we live in a failed state so all we can do is hope for a miracle. Failed policies have led us to this. So go science! All in for the techno-solution! I mean it, since public health has failed, we can hope for it to stop failing but Trump is at the helm, dealing with the virus is the only thing that might help his reelection but he's too dumb to even realize it, we can hope for people of this country to bring R below 1 and keep it there with near perfect mask use and distancing all on their own with little government support beyond a few state mandates, but that's somewhat of a hail mary pass as well, so almost all we have is hope for a cure.
    Trees don't grow on money

Why is Bob Ross popping up everywhere so long after he died? He was gone more than a decade before my kid was born, but the kid owns multiple t-shirts, etc.

Are we that starved for chill in the era of cancel culture, “mostly peaceful demonstrations”, pandemic paranoia and hyper-personalized politics? If we continue in this hysterical vein, can smooth jazz and trademarked meditation techniques be far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If we continue in this hysterical vein, can smooth jazz and trademarked meditation techniques be far behind?
    Dear FSM I hope not.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Why is Bob Ross popping up everywhere so long after he died? He was gone more than a decade before my kid was born, but the kid owns multiple t-shirts, etc.

If we continue in this hysterical vein, can smooth jazz and trademarked meditation techniques be far behind?
    As if that's a bad thing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As if that's a bad thing.
    A higher degree of chill in our culture would be a welcome development, but Smooth Jazz is a bad thing. It is aural Prozac and lobotomized lullaby. It is narcissistic necrosis.

A higher degree of chill in our culture would be a welcome development, but Smooth Jazz is a bad thing. It is aural Prozac and lobotomized lullaby. It is narcissistic necrosis.
    I sense some sarcasm mixed in this response but having difficulty figuring out if smooth jazz is so good that it's bad or really really bad. I am not a jazz fan as may be obvious and just wanted some clarification. Smooth jazz as compared to ? When I have listened to jazz, I have really enjoyed the sounds that are gentle harmony but the discord that other people really love to hear, drives me out of the room. Because some of my friends who are very knowledgeable about music love the noisy jazz in which the instruments sound as though they are in acute pain, I ask the initial question in complete humility.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information