Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    When its dark and you are in a sketchy area, you can get into your car quicker rather than fumble with your purse. Just a few advantages. I wou;dn't have paid extra for keyless, but I enjoy the ease.
    Not saying there aren't advantages, especially full hands, but...

If I'm in a "sketchy area", my keys are in my hand before I leave whatever building I am in. Also, the key fob button unlocks the door before I reach the car and there is also has a "panic" button on the fob to sound a very loud alarm. Also, if I am nervous/afraid of attack on the way to my car, my keys can become a somewhat defensive weapon when I interlace them between my fingers.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

When your hands are full you don't have to dig into your pocket to get a key to open the door. You can permanently leave your key in your purse and not have to dig it out each and every time. When its dark and you are in a sketchy area, you can get into your car quicker rather than fumble with your purse. Just a few advantages. I wou;dn't have paid extra for keyless, but I enjoy the ease.

Except you have to remember where the key actually is. I went with my husband just after I got this car to pick up a nephew at the airport. I like to meet family at security so husband dropped me off and went to remote park until we called him. Except he turned the car off while he was waiting and I still had the key with me in my purse at the airport. Ooops.
    My keyless wonder does not automatically open car doors when its key fob is near. It DOES automatically lock doors when key fob walks away.So, I would still have to dig in my theoretical purse for the device to press the right button that opens the car doors.

I don’t carry a purse. My car key and house key is on a ring around my neck ( for my old car.) Now with the keyless wonder I have it in a little pouch around my neck because I couldn’t find a lanyard that would go through its little slot, and besides, I have to carry the garage door opener in that same pouch.

So far I see only disadvantages to keyless fobs: instruction manual said I should have the repair shop replace a battery. Oh yeah, let’s make an appointment to replace a goddamn battery. I was unable to pry the thing open without fear of breaking it. Fortunately DH had the right tool and careful approach And he was able to open it and replace the battery. But we it just little old me, I would’ve had to take it to the damn shop. Although I will say I called the Fiat dealer and asked if a car salesman could replace this for me, surely I don’t have to make an appointment? And the sales manager said they would be glad to do it for me to come in anytime. That requires a 20 mile trip up to the edge of the county, tho.
    I don’t even want to think about how much it cost to replace the thing.

And I don’t even wanna think about having to start the car without it. There is a complex ritual that will start the car. I’ve read about it in the manual, but I don’t remember what the ritual is.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    instruction manual said I should have the repair shop replace a battery. Oh yeah, let’s make an appointment to replace a goddamn battery.
    I found instructions on YouTube on how to open mine (not keyless, but a fob) and have replaced the battery many times. Now I can do it from memory. Given what the dealership would charge you for that battery, the effort was well worth it. Either DH will remember how to do it next time or you'll find instructions available on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t even want to think about how much it cost to replace the thing.
    Through the dealership, at least a couple hundred dollars. It may be cheaper to buy a blank on ebay/Amazon or some on-line site that specializes in such things. On some cars, it is possible to pair the fob with the car through some arcane sequence of unlocking and ignition key twisting and sacrifices to the deities; other cars will require a trip to the dealer. My car is old enough that the little Bop-It game of touch-this-touch-that works. But my car is old.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My 2008 Corolla doesn’t even have a remote. My 1999 Volvo did. Our cars have such low miles I doubt we will need a new car for decades.

My car came with two keys and two fobs. When one fob died, I just used the other. DH was obsessed with fixing the dead one. He got it open, but the new battery didn't work. He stopped by a dealership we pass sometimes, and they replaced the battery for free. On a 13 year old car that we bought from a different dealership. I was impressed.

My husband has remote key fobs and when the batteries die, we go to the Battery Store, which does it much, much cheaper than the dealership, and they will check it for you and make sure it works before you leave.

My car is like Terry's, pre key fob, and no crank down windows.

I love it!

For the record, the Fiat dealer told me that if I bring in my own battery they would do the work for free.

I replaced the battery in my key fob last summer. Took less than 5 minutes to read the instructions, unscrew, replace and rescrew. It was a common battery that I already had on hand (CR2032, which my hubby uses on his bicycle lights).

I replaced the battery in my key fob last summer. Took less than 5 minutes to read the instructions, unscrew, replace and rescrew. It was a common battery that I already had on hand (CR2032, which my hubby uses on his bicycle lights).
    I would prefer screws. There’s no screws in my key fob, it has little plastic pins that you have to carefully avoid when you’re prying off the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    and no crank down windows.
    Best little car I've ever owned, to date, was a 2000 Plymouth Neon that we literally bought from the little old lady that went to our church. Took it to our mechanic for a once-over before purchasing and they were surprised to see that the front windows were electric and the back windows were crank!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information