Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The pandemic may not be over in time. Today the World Health Organization said it may not go away. They compared it to HIV which has been with us for 4 decades now. Do you really think people will want to wear masks for 40 years?
    My perspective. I figured out I was gay when I was about 15 years old, in 1982. At the same time AIDS was being reported as a thing that was known to kill gay men, seemingly at random. Not wanting to end up dead I waited before becoming sexually active. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, when I was in my mid-20s I accepted what was then becoming widely accepted advice that condoms weren't perfect but were very helpful in reducing the transmission of HIV and started dating but insisting on "safe sex" with everyone. If I have to wear masks and never, or at least very rarely, go to bars and restaurants for years to keep from getting covid I will.* Because I REALLY don't want to get infected with this. It took years for scientists and doctors to get a handle on HIV. It will potentially take years with Covid. For all we know Covid may turn out to be as deadly, long-term, as HIV. I'd rather not be one of the people who learns that the hard way.

*Unfortunately, unlike with HIV and condoms, I can't insist that everyone who comes near me wear a mask. I can only hope that people will feel some sort of societal duty to not put others at risk. But I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Instead I guess I'll just have to hold my breath whenever I'm around someone that shows me through their actions that they are unconcerned with other people's health and safety.

Why would anyone be surprised that Covid can infect a person via their eyes. Eyes are one of the mucous membranes, like the nose and mouth, that have been mentioned for some time now as a path for the virus to enter one's body. All this is is yet another reason that potentially infected people, which is to say ALL OF US, need to wear a damn mask to reduce the amount of potentially infected droplets being spewed out out of our mouths and noses into the air being shared by ourselves and other people.

So I take it Bae that you are only interested in protecting other people not yourself. So long as you don't infect others it doesn't matter if you are protected. No need for a face shield to protect yourself from infection through your eyes. We are all just to be altruists with no self-regard.
    Yppej, pleeeease give it a break!!!! Each person is trying to cope with the stress of the pandemic. Don't add more here as well.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I do wonder if wearing sunglasses or googles or something, as well as a mask, helps.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

So I take it Bae that you are only interested in protecting other people not yourself. So long as you don't infect others it doesn't matter if you are protected. No need for a face shield to protect yourself from infection through your eyes. We are all just to be altruists with no self-regard.
    OK, I am adjusting settings now. You are deliberately misreading my words, and you know it.

I wear full PPE when seeing patients. I've mentioned this. I don't wear full PPE when out bicycling to the top of the mountain here. I wear CDC recommended PPE when called for, where called for.

Because, well, I science.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I do wonder if wearing sunglasses or googles or something, as well as a mask, helps.
    Depends on what you are exposing yourself to, and how. I wear eye protection when in concentrated spaces, because I don't trust that some half-wit without a mask won't cough on me.

Some people have years and years of training and experience with this stuff. Apparently we are The Bad Guy to some.

I wish those people well in their foolishness.

Yppej, pleeeease give it a break!!!! Each person is trying to cope with the stress of the pandemic. Don't add more here as well.
    word
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Depends on what you are exposing yourself to, and how. I wear eye protection when in concentrated spaces, because I don't trust that some half-wit without a mask won't cough on me.

Some people have years and years of training and experience with this stuff. Apparently we are The Bad Guy to some.

I wish those people well in their foolishness.
    Indeed. Different precautions make sense for different scenarios. I have a hospice nurse friend who has had several covid clients. She learned with the first one that when using her phone to give them FaceTime goodbye time with their family that she needs to hold it far enough away that the client can’t grab it and ‘kiss her family’.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. Different precautions make sense for different scenarios. I have a hospice nurse friend who has had several covid clients. She learned with the first one that when using her phone to give them FaceTime goodbye time with their family that she needs to hold it far enough away that the client can’t grab it and ‘kiss her family’.
    Luckily you can reasonably decontaminate many modern smartphones :-)

Bae, I appreciate all that you and many on the front lines do.

Thread Information