Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Luckily you can reasonably decontaminate many modern smartphones :-)
    Yes. And that’s exactly what she did. But she didnt want to have to make that effort, or take the time, a second time.

Please explain.... what is "money"?
    Misquoted... should say borrowing and giving..??? See news articles whereby US keeps "borrowing" and then giving financial aid to other countries.

Yppej
    The idea that people only wear PPE to protect others defies common sense. For instance, medical personnel obviously wear it to protect themselves, so they can remain healthy, continue to treat patients, and because they might want to live and be healthy, and if they have families not leave them grieving.

Bae: "So, take your hyperbole and put it in your salad spinner," has to be one of my favorite lines ever!
    Thanks for the https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0203/v1 link. Very interesting reading, and it certainly gives me enough info to feel confident that mask wearing is the right thing to do. I do not understand the political polarization around masks. All the medical or scientific info I see recommends masks. I'm not seeing anything from those who are anti-mask to make me think otherwise. Yes, they are somewhat unpleasant and uncomfortable, but life kind of sucks like that sometimes. I don't think anyone is trying to make the case that masks are delightful, just that the good they do is worth the tradeoff in temporary discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The idea that people only wear PPE to protect others defies common sense. For instance, medical personnel obviously wear it to protect themselves, so they can remain healthy, continue to treat patients, and because they might want to live and be healthy, and if they have families not leave them grieving.
    There’s a difference between PPE that medical personnel and first responders wear and cloth face masks that regular people wear. But you know that and find pleasure in trolling us because of your hatred of wearing a mask.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    There’s a difference between PPE that medical personnel and first responders wear and cloth face masks that regular people wear. But you know that and find pleasure in trolling us because of your hatred of wearing a mask.
    It's okay for medical personnel to protect themselves by covering their faces, but not non-medical personnel. Got it.

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's worth another post:

Speaking of masks, a company local to Portland (for decades) offers both DIY instructions and pre-made masks for sale:

https://starks.com/vacuum-bag-surgical-masks/

I have no interest in this other than having bought a Kirby from them back in the seventies...I am ordering one of their masks, and I have vacuum filters specially to make masks, in case I ever get the urge.

I'm an introvert. I *can* survive for days at a time without going out.

However, over the past few years I had cultivated the habit of bicycling down to the village once a day, and spending at least a couple of minutes talking face-to-face with an actual human being, with my goal being to learn one new thing about them. I find in the New Era I really miss this simple practice.

I still go out to walk the dog, hike, and bicycle, but it's not really the same.
    COVID-19 and introverts report:

Two days ago I went to the iris garden of my friends. They have 700 iris cultivars. We walked around outside and kept our distance but had spirited conversations about Iris.

This infusion of human contact got me so jazzed up, I could not get to sleep until 3 o’clock in the morning.

I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I’m still pondering it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    COVID-19 and introverts report:

Two days ago I went to the iris garden of my friends. They have 700 iris cultivars. We walked around outside and kept our distance but had spirited conversations about Iris.

This infusion of human contact got me so jazzed up, I could not get to sleep until 3 o’clock in the morning.

I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I’m still pondering it.
    Are you an extrovert or an introvert? I think of you as an extrovert but I could be wrong. Maybe your response to the visit was just joy over injecting yourself back into a life you love.

I find I'm doing a lot more commenting on FB posts, which is strange for me. I really think I'm seeking a substitute for conversation, and I definitely am an introvert. One good thing is I have a great outlet for conversation with my son, who is a huge extrovert and talker. Previous to COVID, when he would call, I'd have to chalk off an hour at least, but now that he's living with us, I get a lot of opportunity for conversation, and my husband, the extrovert, gets annoyed and calls us Chatty Cathy and Chatty C___ and escapes to his workshop. His type of desired interaction is to be with groups of people he can regale. Serious conversation one-on-one, not so much.

It's interesting to observe our individual reactions to being isolated and how our social needs are being met (or not).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No I am definitely an introvert. I’m just a loudmouth on the Internet.

Thread Information