Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Here ya go, IL:
    Granted, it's not a new study, but....

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/1998/...t-gas-suicides
    nice answer!

91-1992.
    Conclusion: Catalytic converters and the associated lower CO emission limits of 9.3 g/km had not, by 1995, resulted in a reduction in numbers, rates or percentages of exhaust gas suicides in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If (cloth or other) masks protect you against Covid-19 why can't people put on a mask, going into the ICU, and say goodbye to their loved ones dying of coronavirus? If masks don't protect why the legal mandates, store requirements, and social pressure to wear one? Is it just a way for people to feel they can do something in a situation where they are largely helpless, or a way to justify going out in public when they should not because they are restless stuck at home?
    I hear the question clearly-as someone who has buried both parents, a brother and a BIL. And I was with 3 of the 4 when they died.

As a RN, and understanding the critical nature of PPE and current scarcity of PPE (yes it is still scarce so ignore what you hear from the President) and the fact that staff are reusing it, dressing the family members down is a tremendous use of those resources. And that puts the staff at even higher risk as they will have to reuse even longer.

Imagine going to work a 12hour shift: don a gown, gloves, hat, a tight fit-tested mask with tight elastic straps around your head, another mask over it to attempt to prevent splashing on it, walking into the COVID unit and not coming out for 12-16 hours? No food, no liquid, no bathroom break.

Now wear all that even longer because a bunch of PPE is consumed bringing in family.

It's horrible-I can't imagine not being present with my family members. However, protecting the lives of those who WILL live, takes priority. And I have no doubt they shed many tears for those family members as they are present at the deaths.

I will turn the topic to a great mystery to me and that is why all the old men on my street spend hours tending their lawns. No flowers or plants - just their bright green squares of lawn. Water, water, weed and feed, edge, edge, blow, blow, mow, mow. Repeat. Is it a sense of control over their turf? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I will turn the topic to a great mystery to me and that is why all the old men on my street spend hours tending their lawns. No flowers or plants - just their bright green squares of lawn. Water, water, weed and feed, edge, edge, blow, blow, mow, mow. Repeat. Is it a sense of control over their turf? Please explain.
    As an old man on my street I'd suggest that we just like the lawn to look nice.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I agree--that's an interesting question.

As an old man on my street I'd suggest that we just like the lawn to look nice.
    I respect that--it is the prototypical idea of suburban beauty and a very reasonable response, but if another "old man" chose NOT to cut grass so short it needs excess irrigation; NOT to weed and feed and infiltrate ground water with pesticides, NOT to blow stuff around and add to noise pollution; while instead creating a more diversified yet beautiful landscape that required fewer poisons and less water, and more color using beautiful native perennials and shrubs that provide habitat and food and pollen for wildlife--that's what I could consider a yard that "looks nice."

But I do agree that in most subdivisions in America, the yard with the most monocultured, weed-free, velveteen, carefully edged blocks of lawn wins. It's all a matter of perspective.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I respect that--it is the prototypical idea of suburban beauty and a very reasonable response, but if another "old man" chose NOT to cut grass so short it needs excess irrigation; NOT to weed and feed and infiltrate ground water with pesticides, NOT to blow stuff around and add to noise pollution; while instead creating a more diversified yet beautiful landscape that required fewer poisons and less water, and more color using beautiful native perennials and shrubs that provide habitat and food and pollen for wildlife--that's what I could consider a yard that "looks nice."

But I do agree that in most subdivisions in America, the yard with the most monocultured, weed-free, velveteen, carefully edged blocks of lawn wins. It's all a matter of perspective.
    Is that the old woman equivalent of coloring her hair?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There are a wide variety of lawns here, many people do go the native plant route, I like it much more, but very few are doing pure grass, some have a bit of grass, native plants, flowers, trees, some go full country cottage with roses and other flowers etc.. A few go rocks, or wood chips or if unkempt bare dirt (white rocks are by far the worst look imo, bare dirt looks better). So it's interesting to walk because there is a wide variety of landscaping. If there actually exists anywhere (or is that just a myth really?) it is just lawns that sounds horribly boring.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Is that the old woman equivalent of coloring her hair?
    Yes, could be. Some women definitely go for the very carefully manicured look.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The lawn issue: Yes I will explain it to you all, you anti-lawn rangers.

Here in the Midwest, particularly the upper Midwest and probably New England and certain parts of the PNW, Kentucky bluegrass and similar cultivars which like cooler weather will do fine without a whole lot of fussing. Yeah you may have clover and other weedy things mixed in, but overall, it’s easy to maintain a decent looking grass carpet. Now if you want a perfect lawn with only blades of grass and nothing else, then you have to fuss with it quite a lot.

Recently I attended the national convention of the American Iris society which was held in Des Moines Iowa. There were people from all over the country, including a loudmouth hybridizer from California who is known for his strong opinions and booming voice. During one of the bus tours I sat and listened to him pontificate about all these midwesterners and the gallons of chemicals they pour on their lawns and the hours and hours they spend maintaining lawns, what a waste, Etc etc.

Most of the turf we were seeing as we drove through the countryside was mow-it-and-forget-it stuff. I know that, being from Des
    Moines. Mr.California Loudmouth probably didnt quite understand how low maintenance grass is here because in his land of brown it requires herculean efforts.

Me, I want a strip of grass to front my perennial garden. I don’t care about a big grassy lawn but I I do want a strip of emerald green to set off the flowers.

DH, having been a professional lawn jockey, used to expend a lot of effort on our lawn. Now he is too busy to do that, some bare spots and weeds have taken over, but it still looks just fine. It keeps the mud out of the house and sets off the flowers.

There are lots of ground covers available now to provide that strip of green--and you don't have to mow or fertilize them. You can even walk on those known as "stepables."

Thread Information