Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Physical touch is a real universal need to be healthy. For many people living alone this hasn’t happened.
    I agree, but I do believe that human contact does help significantly - hearing a voice, seeing a face, etc. Even if it isn't close contact.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Physical touch is a real universal need to be healthy. For many people living alone this hasn’t happened.
    I suppose an animal companion could meet that need.

I'm not sure I buy your premise, as I've never been the touchy-feely sort, and I've generally been healthy--both, all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I suppose an animal companion could meet that need.

I'm not sure I buy your premise, as I've never been the touchy-feely sort, and I've generally been healthy--both, all my life.
    Babies who are not touched die, so yeah, it is a universal need. Obviously, older people vary in their need for contact and touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Babies who are not touched die, so yeah, it is a universal need. Obviously, older people vary in their need for contact and touch.
    Babies who are not touched are neglected, as they often were in Ceausescu's Romania. Most of them lived, though they were permanently scarred.

Yes, here is an article that references the studies that I was talking about, about orphanages:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...%20even%20die.

Mortality rate of 30-40%, so 60%-70% survived.

Yet it remains true that lack of touch can lead to infant mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, here is an article that references the studies that I was talking about, about orphanages:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...%20even%20die.

Mortality rate of 30-40%, so 60%-70% survived.

Yet it remains true that lack of touch can lead to infant mortality.
    I was aware of the infant findings. I'm glad you clarified that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Things DH told me: When I ask him why we don’t hear about people committing suicide by carbon monoxide in their garage with the car running, he said it’s because modern cars have catalytic converters (or maybe it was another mechanical thing ) and don’t put out those emissions.

Is this right? If one is so inclined to commit suicide that method always seemed the best to me.
    During the recent Texas cold snap fiasco a mother and daughter accidentally killed themselves by sitting in their idling car in their closed garage. Temps were constantly sub-freezing for several days and they didn't have any heat in their house because of prolonged power outages, so apparently they turned to the car as their best chance to warm up for a little while, and it killed them.

So in answer to your question: DH is wrong. The catalytic converter changes hydrocarbon gases and carbon monoxide into approximately 71% nitrogen gas, 14% carbon dioxide, and 13% water vapor. Your lungs can't extract oxygen from any of those three gases. So the enclosed space fills up with those three gasses and the car engine sucks in whatever good air there is because it needs oxygen to run. That leaves you with no breathable oxygen, and that causes you to get fuzzy, pass out, and die.

IMHO it is probably easier to accidentally kill yourself by running a car in a closed garage now than it was 50 years ago because the exhaust fumes don't smell as bad or as strong, so you don't get the obvious warning that you're breathing dangerous air.

And since "It’s just an intellectual exercise!" I will add that doing this is probably not the best way to kill yourself because if you are found and rescued you might survive and spend the rest of your life mentally impaired by your brain being deprived of oxygen for too long during your suicide attempt.

BTW: have you ever seen the movie Harold and Maude? I'm not recommending it, just asking if you've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Another thing I wonder about is why bazilllionaires buy/live in massive-sized houses?
    Because they can! (and it impresses the peasants)

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've read in several places (books, internet, etc.) that, truth be told, there are only five basic needs: Clean Air, Water, Nutrients, Shelter and Sleep.
    "Nutrients" can be expressed more simply and accurately as "food". Scientific efforts to replace food with nutrient packets have repeatedly failed long-term, because what we need to survive and be healthy is the whole complex matrix of fruits, veggies, etc and science hasn't figured out yet what all the nutrients we need are, or in what specific combinations, let alone how to create a nutrient pill that replicates the total contents of a carrot or pear.

The need for "Shelter" is really just a need for something that insulated us from cold weather, hot sun, wild animals, and physical objects like large hail. For all intents and purposes, a warm waterproof coat would be as good as a house most of the time, although you might have to sleep in a tree to avoid carnivorous predators.

And without shelter "sleep" would often be difficult or dangerous because you could die from hypothermia or be attacked by wild beasts while you were asleep. That means you would probably do more dozing than sleeping, which would be bad for your mental and emotional health, but it probably wouldn't kill you.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 3-2-21 at 9:40pm. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There’s no accounting for taste, but I think good art should be a little challenging. That’s why I’m not that fond of YA literature or adult coloring books. That’s why I prefer Art Blakey, Coleman Hawkins or Lester Young over the listless murmurs of smooth jazz or soft rock, and am glad such tripe peaked in the seventies.
    Hey man, I like my "tripe". Give me some Dave Brubeck Modern Jazz Quartet or Deardorf Peterson Group or anything that sounds like it has a cohesive melody line hiding somewhere inside of it.

I even like the jazz piano parts of "Children and All That Jazz" which I probably wouldn't like by itself because it's too disjointed, but I do like it because it fits perfectly within the context of that song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3K5QwRD7A

And what about "Linus and Lucy", which is probably better known than all of those put together.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74pCbOXRoAE
    Is that really jazz? Or is it too popular, too danceable, and too cohesive for purists to really call it jazz?

Edited to add this L&L version, which IMO is better than the other one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPDQpel8bI

Last edited by GeorgeParker; 3-3-21 at 9:05am. Reason: Added a better Linus & Lucy version

Thread Information