Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planted Veggies this year not flowers, Oh My

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    My problem is birds. As soon as a tomato is ripe, they like to take a bite out of it. Not eating the whole thing of course, just a few bites. So I now take them inside to ripen.

peppers, tomatoes and green beans grow spectacularly well here. I have three small patches of three bean varieties and three different peppers, four different tomatoes and all are great. After some early success they were a problem so I added some calcium and so far almost ready to pick again.

Incidentally instead of going to a nursery I ordered flower seeds online very early with my veggie seeds. My marigolds and zinnias are breathtaking. When you are home 24/7 for a few months it is easy to not neglect seedlings.

I also planted a dwarf lemon. Did you know if you rub a lemon leaf between your fingers they are also very fragrant citrus smelling?

Oh sounds lovely flowerseverywhere. I ordered everything, I generally order flowers or seeds that are not available in the local places, but never veggie plants. I am still waiting on the plants umm I sent Burpee a message and I understand the covids delays, but. The seeds arrived on time. I moved and had a nice display of Hardy Bananas at the last home. I had originally seen these at Michigan State Hidden Lakes and fell in love. SO I ordered these from MI Bulb and planted yesterday, so excited and hoping for same results as before, facing the east.
    I will say flowers my passion for years, brought a much bigger bang come spring then my vegetable garden is doing for me

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Oh sounds lovely flowerseverywhere. I ordered everything, I generally order flowers or seeds that are not available in the local places, but never veggie plants. I am still waiting on the plants umm I sent Burpee a message and I understand the covids delays, but. The seeds arrived on time. I moved and had a nice display of Hardy Bananas at the last home. I had originally seen these at Michigan State Hidden Lakes and fell in love. SO I ordered these from MI Bulb and planted yesterday, so excited and hoping for same results as before, facing the east.
    I will say flowers my passion for years, brought a much bigger bang come spring then my vegetable garden is doing for me
    Flowers are where it’s at, baby!

I've not had a vegetable garden for a few years but now that I'm retired I'm planning to plant a few things... tomatoes, peppers, who knows. I am starting with very raised beds in a tall leaky stock tank I was given a few years ago. I lean over enough in the lily bed - which I'm mulching shortly, which helps. Picking up a load of topsoil for the tank on Monday. I'm actually excited about having a raised bed in a large container. The raccoons just upend small ones. I like the sprayer idea, but I pay a lot for water, sadly, and the line to the hydrant leaks, so I'm not sure the expense of new line/maybe new hydrant would be worth it. At the moment, we just turn the water access off/on in the basement and it's only on when we're actively using it. Welcome back, BikingLady! It's always nice to have returnees!

I've posted around here before that I have two brown thumbs. I haven't ever really had any successful gardens. This year seems to be different! I have several containers all around the back yard and things are growing!! I'm amazed - ROFLOL! Already harvesting some of the lettuce, spinach and "spicy" crisp (1st time I've ever heard of this!). Two cucumbers already growing in one pot, radishes already harvested and can't-remember-what has been planted in the same container. Shared garden box has more cucumber, three pepper plants and tons of tiny green baby tomatoes!! And the yellow pear tomatoes planted in the tire have sprouted.

I think I am hooked! lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have a pot garden added this year with peppers, leaf lettuce, a patio tomato which is loaded with fruit and a climbing Japanese Black Trifele which had lots of bloom but no fruit. I finally googled for a solution and am now painting the bloom to pollinate and fruit is forming. I have 3'x16' bed with areas of leaf lettuce, spinach and Swiss chard which are done so need to replace with fresh seeds that I must buy - maybe carrots, radishes and kohlrabi. The climbing and bush beans are doing well. I am having fun in my gardening efforts.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

103798477_10218037507314199_3844251881368427512_o.jpg (Forgive me if I posted this already...) Our first round is beginning to dwindle and we are starting succession planting. Pests have been brutal this year. Slug hunting with a salt gun has been my husbands favorite nocturnal pastime before locking up for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    103798477_10218037507314199_3844251881368427512_o.jpg (Forgive me if I posted this already...) Our first round is beginning to dwindle and we are starting succession planting. Pests have been brutal this year. Slug hunting with a salt gun has been my husbands favorite nocturnal pastime before locking up for the night.
    Setting up all those boxes must have taken some time and effort! Well done.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don’t like to garden but love flowers. So every year I buy 5 big pots of flowers to put on my wall on the patio. Then I water them until October and then throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Wow! You have given me something to strive for! Is this just all in your back yard?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information