Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planted Veggies this year not flowers, Oh My

Planted Veggies this year not flowers, Oh My

Long time gone from here, so hello to all that remember me (ctg492/BikingLady).
    We moved and my large flowers gardens did not sadly. I actually told myself that was a good run of like 30 years of flowers and restarting with each move, no more. This home had a small area that had landscape flowers, so I went at it with manure last fall. Winter arrived and I started to rethink my garden goals. Then the Cover-19 stay at home happened and total rethinking, Vegetables!
    I have winter squash, summer squash, a new Lemon cucumber, 4 different types of peppers, 4 tomato types, carrots, radish, leaf lettuce, chives and Detroit beets. We had freeze last night and tonight in MI then let the season begin!
    Being a flower lady at heart, I now want to take up all the flowers I put in last summer and the bulbs and use that area for veggies. But I still need the flower beauty! If the veggies do well (DEER) I have tiller ready and next fall look out wasted grass area.
    Yes Deer are very bad here in this city. The deer have taken over no joke, the cull was 60 in the fall, would never know. I have temp fencing up and will debate on real taller fencing later as we had just put up split rail for the dogs last year. I have Liquid Fence by the gallon ready and then I got two solar power motion sensor jet sprayers. I hope these will do the trick.

Sounds as though you have an arsenal so wish you well with production and discouraging the deer.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We use the motion sensors/jet sprays and they work very well.

Nice to hear from you, Biking Lady. I was wondering where you went!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    We use the motion sensors/jet sprays and they work very well.
    Tell me more! Does it work long term?

we are plagued by deer in Hermann.

IL we use these in the garden for birds/deer/coyotes/rabbits and in the front on the pond for raccoons and heron. We wouldn't be without them. We have used two different brands. The Scarecrow and The Hoont. 6742_67751_v2.jpg

We have used water sensors in NJ (the Scarecrow is the one we used), and I do think they work well. We had one for 4 4x8 raised beds.

My personal opinion, as an ex-suburanite, is that if you are serious about deer resistance, you have to build an enclosure/fence.

Interestingly, in Vermont, I've planted lettuce and tomatoes and eggplant and cucumbers in a wide open area, and we have had NO critter problems, with no fence, pepper spray, or other deterrents. Speaks to the encroachment of humanity on wildlife habitat.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Simplemind, yes that looks like the sprayers I purchased.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We have used water sensors in NJ (the Scarecrow is the one we used), and I do think they work well. We had one for 4 4x8 raised beds.

My personal opinion, as an ex-suburanite, is that if you are serious about deer resistance, you have to build an enclosure/fence.

Interestingly, in Vermont, I've planted lettuce and tomatoes and eggplant and cucumbers in a wide open area, and we have had NO critter problems, with no fence, pepper spray, or other deterrents. Speaks to the encroachment of humanity on wildlife habitat.
    well you’re probably right about ultimately building an enclosure. DH tells me he’s going to build a fence enclosure where I can plant lilies but man, would I like to have sensors and sprayers to give some protection to hostas. I have such a beautiful shaded area under a big tree, would love to have hostas there

Thread Information