Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More simple(r) living?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

More simple(r) living?

Just curious - do you think one of the silver linings of the pandemic will be more folks living simply, either by circumstance or choice? I've read a few online predictions that Americans will be saving more money now.....markedly more.

Just imagine if Americans saved 10 percent of their income.....given that so much of the US economy is based on frivilous spending, imagine the reset that that alone would cause! Rob

Yppej
    Saving more is a silver lining for me, but if I lose my job and am long term unemployed then I am dipping into savings.

We are definitely saving money but not having fun. I hope it encourages people to have emergency funds.

I am saving money AND having a brand of fun I wouldn't normally have.

I don't understand the purpose of this thread, Rob. So many people are out of work, they will be struggling to survive as this pandemic will have a longterm impact. The major number of employers are the service industries as you know and according to reports they will reduce the number of employees, even shutting down permanently. This pandemic will have impact for the next two years until employment stabilizes. Jobs are gone! Tourists are gone for some time. Those that will save money are those who have jobs and even they are not guaranteed. Am I correctly reading about 15-20% unemployed?
    The future in unknown so people may reduce their spending such as they can but the economy needs spending to recover. That does not equate to saving or silver lining, IMO.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of this thread, Rob. So many people are out of work, they will be struggling to survive as this pandemic will have a longterm impact. The major number of employers are the service industries as you know and according to reports they will reduce the number of employees, even shutting down permanently. This pandemic will have impact for the next two years until employment stabilizes. Jobs are gone! Tourists are gone for some time. Those that will save money are those who have jobs and even they are not guaranteed. Am I correctly reading about 15-20% unemployed?
    The future in unknown so people may reduce their spending such as they can but the economy needs spending to recover. That does not equate to saving or silver lining, IMO.
    I gotta say I thought the same thing. Like "what income?"

I think it's too optimistic to say, oh, people are going to save more.

Good point about the mass of folks including myself not currently working. Maybe I should ask - whenever the dust settles and more people are working, do you see an after effect of the pandemic being more saving, more simpler living? Say three years out. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Good point about the mass of folks including myself not currently working. Maybe I should ask - whenever the dust settles and more people are working, do you see an after effect of the pandemic being more saving, more simpler living? Say three years out. Rob
    Oh, I see--yes, I would agree that more people will save once the dust settles, as it will be a really vivid lesson about the importance of emergency funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Oh, I see--yes, I would agree that more people will save once the dust settles, as it will be a really vivid lesson about the importance of emergency funds.
    My expectation is that people will behave as Great Depression survivors behaved for years afterwards, if the economic impact of The Current Unpleasantness is as large as I think it will be.

Half the businesses on my island will likely perish in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thank You, Tybee. This is along the lines of what I was getting at. I guess I didn't make myself clear yet again lol. Rob

Thread Information