Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More simple(r) living?

I think a lot of businesses will continue to be regarded as non-essential to people after they open. I'm very thankful that my finances have remained stable. When doing a side by side with last years expenditures we certainly have saved a lot of money these past few months. I'm betting that more than a few people living paycheck to paycheck that never believed they could save money have learned through lockdown that they really can.
    I'm betting that these businesses chomping at the bit to open are going to quickly come to the realization that customer traffic will not return to the pre pandemic state. Either they won't be comfortable with cleanliness/distancing measures, can't afford it or have decided after going without that they really didn't need it and prefer the cash staying in hand.

Restaurants here in our downtown are closing right & left, with no intent or ability to reopen. Our downtown was in the beginnings of a Renaissance with a new waterfront development. Now all on hold. I wonder how long if at all, the comeback will take. Or whether people will decide restaurant dining several times a week isn't the pastime it was, having gotten out of the habit and found new and simpler, more frugal ways to recreate.

I won't be eating in our local restaurants anytime soon.

We have ~ 1 million tourists a year visit the community, and they all pile into those restaurants. Due to great marketing efforts by the County, our traditionally 8-9 week peak tourist season has grown big shoulders, and there are tourists here in some volume most of the year now. Which has been great for the restaurants, but there is no way I am sitting in one of them with randos from around the world in close quarters for the immediate future.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I won't be eating in our local restaurants anytime soon.

We have ~ 1 million tourists a year visit the community, and they all pile into those restaurants. Due to great marketing efforts by the County, our traditionally 8-9 week peak tourist season has grown big shoulders, and there are tourists here in some volume most of the year now. Which has been great for the restaurants, but there is no way I am sitting in one of them with randos from around the world in close quarters for the immediate future.
    I'm feeling the same way in regsrds to seasonal f and b work and to my last gig at the Convention Center. Just seems risky until there is a vaccine or at least effective treatment available affordably in Mexico. Rob

Thread Information