Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and The Tourist Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The lodgings in our tourist-oriented area can open May 22, but we have a 14-day quarantine for out-of-staters, which should essentially keep business out.
    Who will police that?

My dumbass in-laws let their grandson/GF/great-grandson come up from the hotbed Las Vegas for 5d last week. Inlaws are in their 80s! We not thrilled we would not "come on over and spend the day with us". Seriously?

Our state also has a 14d quarantine.......but that didn't keep the wealthy dude who flew his jet into a resort town. He was pissed when the airport owner instructed him to go home. The county is rural with a tiny critical access hospital and had a no-out-of-towners policy in place enforced by police.

Gardnr, your story reminds me of a couple of friends of my sister in San Diego. Both 70 years old, one obese, one with high blood pressure. A couple of weeks ago, as cases were spiking just south of the border they decided that they needed to go visit one of them’s sister, who also has assorted health issues, in Mexico.

I read an interesting piece in the N.Y. Times yesterday that talked about the fact that the pandemic may ‘socially’ end before it medically ends. The basic thought being that society could largely collectively tire of waiting for a vaccine/treatment and decide that the current plan of shutting stuff down is not sustainable and will simply go back to ‘normal’ life and accept the deaths that come from it. It does appear that this is happening in various places. And if one doesn’t know anyone who has been infected, much less someone who has died, it’s easy to see why this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

I read an interesting piece in the N.Y. Times yesterday that talked about the fact that the pandemic may ‘socially’ end before it medically ends. The basic thought being that society could largely collectively tire of waiting for a vaccine/treatment and decide that the current plan of shutting stuff down is not sustainable and will simply go back to ‘normal’ life and accept the deaths that come from it. It does appear that this is happening in various places. And if one doesn’t know anyone who has been infected, much less someone who has died, it’s easy to see why this would happen.
    Yes. I think we have millions of "no see ums" singing LALALALALALA......I can't hear you, everything in my world is fine so screw ya'll and your stupid hoax.

About 3/4 of my state is of this mindset. And one of their counties is spiking new cases big time! I'm going to have to wear a blindfold and earplugs.....I'm exhausted from educating the uneducable. RNs must educate......I can't do it anymore.

Yppej
    There doesn't seem to be any correlation with government orders and caseloads. A CNN story yesterday lists states with cases falling fastest:

New Jersey - strict
    Missouri - businesses allowed to open May 4
    Idaho - opened May 1

And states with cases rising fastest:

South Dakota - never closed
    Arkansas - reopened May 4
    Maine - still under a stay at home order; 14 day quarantine for anyone coming in from out of state

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any correlation with government orders and caseloads. A CNN story yesterday lists states with cases falling fastest:

New Jersey - strict
    Idaho - opened May 1

Maine - still under a stay at home order; 14 day quarantine for anyone coming in from out of state
    Speaking for Missouri, please understand that state wide policy doesn’t stop localities from restricting what’s happening in their jurisdictions. My city is still in lockdown as of today. Nearby counties are making their own decisions

New Jersey - strict
    Idaho - opened May 1

NO! Idaho is not "open". Here is the Governor's 4 stage plan. The capital city is stricter than the state plan. https://rebound.idaho.gov/stages-of-reopening/

And Idaho does not have a 14day run of decreasing new cases even though that is part of the national recommendation and is stated in the plan.

New Jersey - strict
    Idaho - opened May 1

For this to be meaningful one would also have to analyze when the lockdown happened in a given locale compared to the volume of infection there at the time. For instance NY already had 1000's of cases and dozens of deaths before the lockdown started. The six county San Francisco Bay Area, on the other hand, did not have anywhere near that amount of infection at the time the lockdown was instituted so we've had only a small fraction of the infection and death rate. Of course if Moon Jae-in was our president, maybe the entire country could have avoided needing lockdowns in the first place.

I watched the Roosevelt special on PBS and was struck at how different citizen response is now compared to back then. There was much more solidarity to get through tough times like the Depression unlike now, where it seems like many don't want to give up their "freedom."

I find the lack of empathy for fellow Americans to be appalling.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I watched the Roosevelt special on PBS and was struck at how different citizen response is now compared to back then. There was much more solidarity to get through tough times like the Depression unlike now, where it seems like many don't want to give up their "freedom."
    I think you are talking different freedoms. Roosevelt talked about freedom FROM want and freedom from fear. Today the concern is freedom TO do things like travel or run a business. Whereas Roosevelt tried to tamp down fear, the media are hyping up fears of the virus when its impact on most people who could and would like to be working is not severe. In my state 60% of the deaths are in nursing homes and average age is in the 80's.

ETA fear is also caused by the unknown. My governor is keeping his reopening plan a big secret so businesses cannot prepare. He is arousing anxiety amongst many small businesspeople rather than allaying it.

Thread Information