Thread: Cats musical free on Youtube this weekend

Cats musical free on Youtube this weekend

Just a heads up about the musical "Cats" being the 'free' musical this weekend on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpP...rqew9seO2ZGRmk
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just a heads up about the musical "Cats" being the 'free' musical this weekend on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpP...rqew9seO2ZGRmk
    There’s a funny podcast about a woman who became obsessed with the newly released film of Cats. I think it might’ve been on This American Life. It was just funny because Cats was universally panned as a movie, but she was into it, It took over her life. She and her friend started a podcast about the film Cats They talked endlessly about it.

Other than one hummable song from that piece, it’s not something I am interested in. I just don’t get what a Jellicle cat is.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There’s a funny podcast about a woman who became obsessed with the newly released film of Cats. I think it might’ve been on This American Life. It was just funny because Cats was universally panned as a movie, but she was into it, It took over her life. She and her friend started a podcast about the film Cats They talked endlessly about it.

Other than one hummable song from that piece, it’s not something I am interested in. I just don’t get what a Jellicle cat is.
    I never saw the movie so cannot comment.

I loved the stage play - the set, the extraordinary skills of those portraying the cats and the fun music. How many lyrics in music make rational sense?

I saw it twice, once from a distance enjoying the whole set and again up close to see how hard they worked to present the fluid athletic movements of the cats. Looking forward to watching this evening.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am a huge musical theatre lover, but Cats is not on the top of my list. I do like some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's work of course, like Jesus Christ Superstar, but I'm not enamored of a lot of it--even Phantom of the Opera.

Same with Sondheim--I really think he's a genius, but his musicals are hit or miss with me.

But Betty Buckley singing "Memory"--unforgettable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am a huge musical theatre lover, but Cats is not on the top of my list. I do like some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's work of course, like Jesus Christ Superstar, but I'm not enamored of a lot of it--even Phantom of the Opera.

Same with Sondheim--I really think he's a genius, but his musicals are hit or miss with me.

“Memory” and two songs from Phantom, good stuff, maybe one from Les Mis.

The entire production of Jesus Christ superstar is jam packed good stuff.

That’s the sum total of my interest in Andrew Lloyd Webber. I do not like musicals. Other than Jesus Christ superstar, and Chorus Line, oh well and Hedwig, yeah not into them.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Chorus Line, oh well and Hedwig, yeah not into them.
    Two quick personal memories of those musicals:

Chorus Line: I was working at NBC and my then-boyfriend was supposed to pick me up on the North side of 30 Rock. I got tired of waiting for him, so I put my heavy pocketbook down, and some very silent thief took it right from under me. As upset as I was, DBF picked me up (late as usual) and I thoroughly enjoyed the show, despite the theft. I tried to forget it all weekend, but on the following Monday, a clerk at the Grand Central Post Office called and told me my pocketbook was there.

Hedwig: My son was in an off-Broadway show written by Craig Lucas (Prelude to a Kiss). One of the cast members was John Cameron Mitchell. He was an awesome guy.. SO nice. He took us to a Village 'Rave' type music venue, and I was in my 40s at the time and tried so hard to be cool, but I think he saw through me--every bit (I was going to "inch" but I'll forgo the pun).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is cool about JC Mitchell.

My exposure to Hedwig was the film which of course was years after it first showed up off Broadway. That’s what we get here in flyover country. I recently keyed into Mariam Shore showing up in various TV productions, took me a while to place her. She was a lead in the film version of Hedwig.

it recently occurred to me that I haven’t been to live theater for more than two years, coinciding about the time we bought our home and property. That is too bad. I finally figured out the formulas for local theater here, formulas that I like. We have several small companies and I enjoy those the most. Most of them put on a musical in the spring which I avoid but I like their dramatic productions. Our region’s big performance venues put on out of towners productions that usually do not interest me. Local theater here is an ever-changing landscape because in the five years since I’ve retired, there’s been so many changes in companies and venues that it’s hard to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

I watched or tried to anyway a few weeks ago a version of Jesus Christ Superstar on Youtube. It was loud, looked as though zombies had taken over and they just shrieked that whole show. I enjoyed Phantom and watched it twice; the sequel, Love Never Dies, was a major disappointment and the only enjoyable music was at the end with the song, Love Never Dies.
    Sondheim hasn't triggered any great interest as yet. There is a Sondheim musical planned at the Shaw Festival but it probably will be cancelled due to the virus.

There are a few movies that I especially remember such as Gone with the Wind, Dr. Zhivago and 'Up' but stage plays and live operas are my joy.

Thread Information