Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying for the first time...

Trying for the first time...

dumplings! As in "chicken and...". LOL. I've never made chicken and dumplings before, but am giving it a try for dinner tonight. Fingers-crossed.

Anyone else been trying new things?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Never had rhubarb in my life but my neighbor gave me fresh stalks and I pretended like I knew what to do with it. I made a cobbler with the diced rhubarb along with apples and strawberries and it was delicious. Also made some no knead bread for the first time a few weeks back that was quickly devoured. Looking at cans of wild salmon right now wondering what I could make that is creative and tasty.

Sounds delicious. Let us know how it turned out. My first attempt at dumplings, I didn't get the broth boiling hot enough so they didn't rise properly. The next effort turned out much better. Do you like a strong sage or poultry seasoning taste? I found the dumplings needed this.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    dumplings! As in "chicken and...". LOL. I've never made chicken and dumplings before, but am giving it a try for dinner tonight. Fingers-crossed.

Anyone else been trying new things?
    Being the excellent cook I am, Ha Ha Ha Ha, I made homemade noodles a couple of times and they were very easy, only time consuming if I resent the time I was doing it. Which I don’t because I have lots of time on some rainy days.

I also baked scratch muffins several times, I can’t remember doing that before but it’s so easy I probably have. We are blueberries And rhubarb in the freezer and I had to use them up. I’m thinking about making cherry muffins because we have quite a lot of sour cherries that need to be used up, but I know other ways to use those. Maybe I’ll try cherry oatmeal cookies.

Last week I surpriseD myself and DH by whipping out chicken cordon bleu because I had chicken breast that had to be used up so I wrapped a little bacon, spinach, and cream cheese in them.

You could put the cherries in chicken salad and also fudge.

Around here they put cherries in EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Being the excellent cook I am, Ha Ha Ha Ha, I made homemade noodles a couple of times and they were very easy, only time consuming if I resent the time I was doing it. Which I don’t because I have lots of time on some rainy days.

I also baked scratch muffins several times, I can’t remember doing that before but it’s so easy I probably have. We are blueberries And rhubarb in the freezer and I had to use them up. I’m thinking about making cherry muffins because we have quite a lot of sour cherries that need to be used up, but I know other ways to use those. Maybe I’ll try cherry oatmeal cookies.

Last week I surpriseD myself and DH by whipping out chicken cordon bleu because I had chicken breast that had to be used up so I wrapped a little bacon, spinach, and cream cheese in them.
    From scratch scones are easy and quick too. You could make cherry or blueberry... yum.

I made chicken pot pie for the first time too.

The dumplings and all turned out great! I was informed that the recipe is now a "family standard" and that the next time I make it, the recipe needs to be doubled. LOL. Easy and good. This is the recipe I used:

https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/easy...-from-scratch/
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That looks great; I have printed it out and stuck it in my "to cook" book. I grow thyme, so we should be in business.

My neighbor brought over a "snack" of delicious pierogis yesterday, covered in caramelized onions. I'm going to find out how she made them and add them to my repertoire as long as they aren't too hard to make.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information