Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying for the first time...

I had to google brother Jonathan - reminds me of baked polenta.

I haven't been indulging in sweets that much but all this talk of blueberries and cherries and ice cream makes me want to run out and get some!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

ooohh ice cream! I bought a counter top ice cream maker during all this so we've been indulging in more ice cream and frozen yogurt. Very excited about getting some fresh fruit to try in it! We had a tiny electric ice cream maker back in the 70s but making ice chips small enough to work with it was a PIA. We also have had several large makers, both crank and electric variety. (Can you tell we like ice cream?) This little one has a bowl you freeze ahead of time. If we want more solid ice cream, we just transfer it to a freezer container and freeze it harder, as opposed to back in the day when we had to let ice cream freeze by covering with rugs, etc. because who had that kind of room in the freezer then? I like the convenience of being able to make ice cream when we want it, without another trip to the store or ice cream parlor.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Speaking of cherries, does anyone have good montmorency cherry recipes? I have a montmorency cherry tree, and my neighbors go ga-ga over it, but I don't know what to do with the cherries!!
    Lucky you! I buy concentrated Montmorency cherry juice to help with arthritis and it contains melatonin for sleep. I would try canning the juice or even freezing in addition to recipes. You could also make cherry flavored vodka or brandy.

Revived this thread as I am trying to make something for the first time - Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

Backstory - I used to do the baking for the birthdays at my old job. The birthday person got to pick what they wanted and I would make it. Learned last week that it was one of the other custodians' birthday, so I asked what they wanted - and Pineapple Upside Down Cake it is!

Fingers-crossed! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My neighbor brought over a "snack" of delicious pierogis yesterday, covered in caramelized onions. I'm going to find out how she made them and add them to my repertoire as long as they aren't too hard to make.
    I had Pierogis recently at the Illinois State Fair which has an international food area where “countries” set up little booths.

I’ve had Latvia and the Baltic countries at the top of my list to visit next, but this cemented that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Revived this thread as I am trying to make something for the first time - Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

Backstory - I used to do the baking for the birthdays at my old job. The birthday person got to pick what they wanted and I would make it. Learned last week that it was one of the other custodians' birthday, so I asked what they wanted - and Pineapple Upside Down Cake it is!

Fingers-crossed! LOL.
    i have made that several times, long time ago, with boxed yellow cake.

Easy peasy, you will knock this out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i have made that several times, long time ago, with boxed yellow cake.

Easy peasy, you will knock this out of the park.
    Thanks for the encouragement. It is actually in the oven as I type. My recipe didn't call for a boxed cake mix, but that would probably have been easier! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. It is actually in the oven as I type. My recipe didn't call for a boxed cake mix, but that would probably have been easier! LOL.
    I’m really not all that much of a baked goods fan, But there is a nice difference between box cake and homemade cakes.

I've made upside-down cake. As I recall, I divided the topping into thirds: one-third coconut, one-third traditional, and one-third buttery pecans. I'm famous for cooking things once, then never again.

I don't understand rhubarb. I gave it two chances, but I honestly wonder how anyone considered eating it once, let alone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I've made upside-down cake. As I recall, I divided the topping into thirds: one-third coconut, one-third traditional, and one-third buttery pecans. I'm famous for cooking things once, then never again.

I don't understand rhubarb. I gave it two chances, but I honestly wonder how anyone considered eating it once, let alone twice.

I love “sour.”

The rhubarb pies DH makes are heavenly. He makes at least 2 each year. He finally has a strong stand of rhubarb in
    Hermann after trying for years to get it going here in the city.

in the early years of our marriage his mother Fed Exed rhubarb to him from their family farm garden. That is how important rhubarb is to these people. frugal to the core, but FedEx rhubarb?it is a life priority!

Thread Information