Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping apart

Yes, Sleep is very important to me so I sleep separately.

I've always slept alone. I was a lot of fun at slumber parties as a child--sleeping by myself in a corner. Later, I would wait until a lover nodded off, then sneak off to sleep on the couch, setting off more than one spirited discussion in the middle of the night. When trapped in bed with someone, I generally don't sleep. I was an only child for awhile, so maybe that's it. Or not. I'm a firm believer that everyone should have their own bed, their own room, their own bathroom, etc.

Geez, bae. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

we've had separate rooms for several years because of husband's snoring. Works for us.

My cpap has changed our lives. I am no longer tired and my husband can sleep. Plus having untreated sleep apnea damages your organs. We only sleep apart if one of us is really sick.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    rosa, has he had a sleep study? My DH wears a C-pap and it has made a WORLD of difference in his ability to sleep soundlessly, as well as mine! If he truly is snoring loudly it could be a sign of sleep apnea, which is a risk factor for heart disease.

As for our sleeping singly/apart, I have on occasion moved to another bed in the middle of the night, especially when we lived in NJ. I don't do it much now, because of his C-pap and also because my second bed is an uncomfortable futon, and I'd have to open it up, pull out the mattress topper, make the bed, etc and by that time I'd be fully awake.

I still enjoy sleeping in the same bed with him, although we also have very different sleep habits. He's the night owl--I'm the 10:00 retirer. But I understand why a lot of people as they get older prefer separate beds.
    Hmmm.....catherine....maybe it's the other way around. Maybe all of us who use cpaps, really just need to try those nasal strips! Wouldn't that be interesting!?
    It's hard to know if one's snoring actually leads to a drop in oxygen levels. Actually.....you can buy a finger recording oximeter and then use the software to see if your oxygen dropped during the night. If it doesn't.....then the snoring isn't really a problem.(except for the other person in the room).
    It's also nice if you're sleeping with a snorer, to note if they stop breathing for awhile too......which is truly sleep apnea (actually, it could also "just" be hypopnea".
    I don't blame anyone for not wanting to take the cpap test. I've had 2 and I don't want anymore. But....I think you can do them at home now.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    rosa, has he had a sleep study? My DH wears a C-pap and it has made a WORLD of difference in his ability to sleep soundlessly, as well as mine! If he truly is snoring loudly it could be a sign of sleep apnea, which is a risk factor for heart disease.

As for our sleeping singly/apart, I have on occasion moved to another bed in the middle of the night, especially when we lived in NJ. I don't do it much now, because of his C-pap and also because my second bed is an uncomfortable futon, and I'd have to open it up, pull out the mattress topper, make the bed, etc and by that time I'd be fully awake.

I still enjoy sleeping in the same bed with him, although we also have very different sleep habits. He's the night owl--I'm the 10:00 retirer. But I understand why a lot of people as they get older prefer separate beds.
    Hmmm.....catherine....maybe it's the other way around. Maybe all of us who use cpaps, really just need to try those nasal strips! Wouldn't that be interesting!?
    It's hard to know if one's snoring actually leads to a drop in oxygen levels. Actually.....you can buy a finger recording oximeter and then use the software to see if your oxygen dropped during the night. If it doesn't.....then the snoring isn't really a problem.(except for the other person in the room).
    It's also nice if you're sleeping with a snorer, to note if they stop breathing for awhile too......which is truly sleep apnea
    I don't blame anyone for not wanting to take the cpap test. I've had 2 and I don't want anymore. But....I think you can do them at home now.

I insisted that a sleep study be done before SO and I moved in together. He had the "snorty, stop breathing for a couple of seconds" type snores that typify obstructive apnea. And he also was so sleep deprived that he would fall asleep on the couch if we were doing something quiet like watching a movie in the evening. He's used a cpap now for over 16 years and at this point couldn't imagine sleeping without it. But even without the snoring it's difficult for me to sleep well with him because every time he rolls over it's like we sleep on a trampoline since he's a heavyset guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've had 2 and I don't want anymore. But....I think you can do them at home now.
    Yes, they are all done at home now!! It's amazing. I do look forward to when we can maximize technology to enable information and data-generation. It's possible to do EKGs on your iPhone now. I can see exactly what my heart rate is during sleep, and my how much time I'm in Deep/REM sleep, etc.

Anyway, no one should put off sleep studies because they are inconvenient these days.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

DH did have sleep studies done several years ago and he checked out OK. He lost some weight and we quit smoking 8 years ago and the snoring issue went away. It resurfaced a few months ago, and I didn't notice that he stopped breathing (I was wide awake and in a good position to observe, believe me) but it was like sleeping next to a freight train or something.

I used to stop breathing. After losing 40lbs my apnea greatly improved but my oxygen drops without still.

Thread Information