Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping apart

Sleeping apart

I get up early - 5:00 am on weekdays. My dw is retired, a night owl. Often falls asleep on the couch. Before when she would finally come to bed - any time after
    1:00 am, no matter how quiet she tries to be, she wakes me up. She comes to bed, then quickly falls into a deep sleep and begins to snore.

I try to go back to sleep, but end up heading to the couch and fall back to sleep. When we changed the house around, moved the computer desk into the spare bedroom, took down the bunk beds, put in a twin, I moved to the twin bed when I woke up.

I try to be in bed, by 10:00 pm, but even that gives me only 7 hours of sleep. I try to tell her it is all about sleep. I would be happy to start getting her up at
    5:00 and see what she thinks of that! Now I just go to bed in the computer room. I can have the room as cool as I want, I can get it almost completely dark and I sleep good - really good.

Any others that sleep in separate rooms?

I’m all for comfort and good rest. All the research is behind sleeping separately.

We share a big bed but our sleep patterns are very different. Wouldn’t bother me at all to have separate sleep rooms. But he likes to be near me. I’m the heavy sleeper so not a problem for me.

We have a king size bed and because it’s a sleep number you can’t feel someone get in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Any others that sleep in separate rooms?
    Yes, for many years my wife would move to the spare bedroom in the middle of the night due to my snoring. Several years ago I solved the problem by moving into the other room. I like to read in bed and she likes to watch tv before falling asleep, now we can do as we like without bothering the other.
    Of course, we've both granted the other visitation rights whenever the mood strikes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When we were both working, we slept in separate bedrooms most of the time so that we both got our sleep. Now that we are retired, we are back in one bed. I wear ear plugs to drown out the snoring and on very rare occasion move to another bedroom if he gets too noisy.

We've slept in different rooms on weeknights for years. After my cat passed away in November I even started closing the door since SO always gets up before me. His showering, dressing, etc would wake me up since the bathroom is between the two bedrooms. (closing the door wasn't an option before because cat wanted to be with me but also wanted to be able to get a snack in the middle of the night).

I sleep alone in my nice Cal-King bed here in the San Juans in Washington.

My now-ex-wife sleeps with her cousin Bob, that she left me for, in Michigan, in a Queen bed. She started this practice well before we divorced, apparently.

We only have one bed and one bedroom, so we have to make it work. A few months ago, DH started snoring very loudly. He started using those nasal strips and they have worked like a charm, and he says they help him breathe better so he is sleeping better too.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We only have one bed and one bedroom, so we have to make it work. A few months ago, DH started snoring very loudly. He started using those nasal strips and they have worked like a charm, and he says they help him breathe better so he is sleeping better too.
    rosa, has he had a sleep study? My DH wears a C-pap and it has made a WORLD of difference in his ability to sleep soundlessly, as well as mine! If he truly is snoring loudly it could be a sign of sleep apnea, which is a risk factor for heart disease.

As for our sleeping singly/apart, I have on occasion moved to another bed in the middle of the night, especially when we lived in NJ. I don't do it much now, because of his C-pap and also because my second bed is an uncomfortable futon, and I'd have to open it up, pull out the mattress topper, make the bed, etc and by that time I'd be fully awake.

I still enjoy sleeping in the same bed with him, although we also have very different sleep habits. He's the night owl--I'm the 10:00 retirer. But I understand why a lot of people as they get older prefer separate beds.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have the sleep apnea issue at our house and DH wont complete the testing process because it was so badly handled by the only sleep study people here in our town.
    It has forced us into two separate beds, not so much the snoring as the flailing limbs.

I am sick of him not getting the testing complete and not getting a cpap, but it's his body and his choice, so separate beds for now.

Thread Information