Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Does anyone agree with me? (About wearing masks)

Orcas Island in wintertime, without many nursing homes, is a vastly different place than the King/Snohomish county area.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Orcas Island in wintertime, without many nursing homes, is a vastly different place than the King/Snohomish county area.
    Yes, thank goodness.

With our fragile medical infrastructure here, we activated our Emergency Operations Center very very early. It helps that our medical directors also work King County, and use us to beta-test protocols. WA state as a whole did quite well.

Almost all of our infections here came from a very small number of visitors from off-island, who then coughed onto local merchants at farm stands and stores, who then infected their own families. Contact tracing stopped the spread pretty rapidly.

Oregon's done well--with a relatively early lockdown order, they have 20% of the cases and 10% of the deaths (roughly) that we have.
    Oregon's rabble, consequently, are calling their governor everything but a hero. Because dammit, they want a haircut. Or to go bowling. Or something.

I will begin by saying that I'm definitely LIMITING my intake of COVID-19-related "stuff". Not ignoring! but definitely limiting for my own peace of mind. I am, however, reading these threads. So, something I was just wondering - because some places have tracing, testing, mask requirements, all different things being done and different rules all over, etc.:

Knowing what everyone *should* know about this virus at this point in time (right now), if someone were to NOT wear a mask, have the virus (known or unknown to themselves), and they infect someone who then dies from COVID-19 and it is traced back to them, could they then be charged with murder? Or have I missed it and this has already happened?

Yes, I now there are lots of "ifs" and "buts" in the above, but still... it's a crazy world right now and I just wondered.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I will begin by saying that I'm definitely LIMITING my intake of COVID-19-related "stuff". Not ignoring! but definitely limiting for my own peace of mind. I am, however, reading these threads. So, something I was just wondering - because some places have tracing, testing, mask requirements, all different things being done and different rules all over, etc.:

Knowing what everyone *should* know about this virus at this point in time (right now), if someone were to NOT wear a mask, have the virus (known or unknown to themselves), and they infect someone who then dies from COVID-19 and it is traced back to them, could they then be charged with murder? Or have I missed it and this has already happened?

Yes, I now there are lots of "ifs" and "buts" in the above, but still... it's a crazy world right now and I just wondered.
    I haven't read anything about that happening and think it would be a really bad idea. That said, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that someone might try to make it happen. One only need to look at the history of efforts to criminalize HIV infection to see how it might play out.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Knowing what everyone *should* know about this virus at this point in time (right now), if someone were to NOT wear a mask, have the virus (known or unknown to themselves), and they infect someone who then dies from COVID-19 and it is traced back to them, could they then be charged with murder?
    I would think not. As I understand it a mask does not eliminate a threat, but mitigates it. And it's further complicated by the efficacy of the mask material since there seems to be a wide array of devices being used. I think the best case anyone could make would be one of willful endangerment but I think even then it would require an element of intent, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see someone try.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Vietnam stopped the virus in January when my son was there. They used the military to shutdown the town and they traced who had contact with them and brought everyone to the same town until well. Obviously we have too many rights for that to happen here.
    They also had a really catchy pop song in Vietnam about washing your hands.

Thread Information