Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone agree with me? (About wearing masks)

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have definitely not signed onto the groupthink that there is only one correct way to approach the pandemic, a top down heavy-handed approach. I don't think that makes me delusional. On the other hand if I thought I were Batman I would say I was suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Yppej
    Covid deaths per 100,000:

Sweden 39.26
    Italy 54.25
    Spain 61.54
    United Kingdom 55.46
    France 42.35
    Belgium 81.25
    Andorra 66.23
    San Marino 124.32

Source Johns Hopkins University

Covid deaths per 100,000:

Sweden 39.26
    Italy 54.25
    Spain 61.54
    United Kingdom 55.46
    France 42.35
    Belgium 81.25
    Andorra 66.23
    San Marino 124.32

Source Johns Hopkins University
    New York: 150 They win! Is this really a contest?

Following the science and the recommendations kept their horrific death rates low. The USA? "We have it under control". "It's going to go away". "Masks are not necessary". Yup, that worked

What is your point?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    New York: 150 They win! Is this really a contest?

Following the science and the recommendations kept their horrific death rates low. The USA? "We have it under control". "It's going to go away". "Masks are not necessary". Yup, that worked

What is your point?
    My point is there is more than one way to approach coronavirus. Sweden has not had a draconian top-down approach like the other European countries listed, yet has fared better.

If only someone knew something about Exploratory Data Analysis (which as I recall was invented at Princeton...), these numbers would provoke some interesting questions...

However naive analysis is likely to produce confusion.

newplot.jpg

When I was in high school the Hong Kong flu killed somewhere between 1 and 4 million people worldwide and over 100,000 in the US. I don't remember it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When I was in high school the Hong Kong flu killed somewhere between 1 and 4 million people worldwide and over 100,000 in the US. I don't remember it.
    I don't remember much about it. Then again, I was only 6.

However, it took about a year and a half to kill the 100,000 in the USA, Covid-19 has managed that in about 3 months. A vaccine was also produced within a few months, and there were supportive therapies available pretty early on. It is supposedly one of the mildest pandemic events in the books for that and a few other reasons.

My point is there is more than one way to approach coronavirus. Sweden has not had a draconian top-down approach like the other European countries listed, yet has fared better.
    Say what? Read up buttercup. https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ed-by-COVID-19

Sweden’s more relaxed approach — coexisting with the new coronavirus rather than declaring war on it — hasn’t been entirely painless.
    “In terms of the mortality rate per capita from COVID-19, Sweden is not doing as well as the other countries nearby in Scandinavia that are similar but have approached the pandemic in a different way,” said Dr. Saahir Khan, assistant clinical professor of infectious disease at UCI Health in Orange, California.
    As of May 18, Sweden’s per capita death rate was 36 per 100,000, which is higher than the United States at 27 and neighboring Denmark at 9.
    Over this past week, Sweden also had the highest per capita death rate for COVID-19 in Europe.

I'm not sure what the country comparisons does either, it's just like here's a bunch of stuff thrown at the wall. Europe in general didn't do great, it's really not a example of success (sure the U.S. can and likely will do worse).

Some went more draconian eventually but went so AFTER the thing already had a significant spread (Italy which it hit early, the UK - at least) so pretty meaningless to use them as examples of effective action. And I have heard antibody tests show about the same number infected in Spain, Italy and Sweden, about 5%, and so the herd immunity that Sweden imagines it has achieved is largely mythical, even assuming immunity, 95% aren't in Sweden nor Spain nor Italy, despite a whole lotta dying going on! As far as anyone is able to ascertain at this point noone is anywhere near herd immunity, it's complete fiction (and apocalyptic fiction considering what it would take if it was possible). As for why some have more deaths, well I don't know entirely, the demographics are different (older), some have less hospitals and so hospital overwhelm might have contributed (I don't think the u.s. has that many either) etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information