Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone agree with me? (About wearing masks)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Does anyone agree with me? (About wearing masks)

I personally see wearing a mask in public as a sign of emotional maturity - let me explain. To me, wearing a mask signifies that the wearer understands that it's not all about them and that their actions do indeed impact others. Anyone agree? Or disagree? Rob

Yppej
    If full PPE agree. If cloth face coverings that do not stop small covid particles disagree.

Totally agree Rob.

I see it as a sign of courtesy and respect for others. I was at Costco this am for the first time since all this started and the gatekeeper was asking every entrant if they had a mask. Several in line were a bit put off by it but just happened to have one on them which they put on and then pulled off once inside. This won't go on forever so not understanding why the need to be so defiant by some.

I absolutely understand that it isn't 100% effective (or even close to that) for myself or for others. I wear it predominately to keep my hands from my face when in the store. I don't wear it out walking. In stores I actually appreciate people keeping their distance more than I care about them wearing a mask. I don't think twice about wearing it. I don't think twice about others not wearing it. I do believe it is a simple and easy sign of courtesy as well as a small layer of protection for me.
    I see them being around for awhile. The Asian community has been doing it during cold and flu season for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    The Asian community has been doing it during cold and flu season for ages.
    I imagine if we keep up with the social distancing, hand washing, reduce face touching and wearing face masks we will severely decrease the common cold/flu this next year.

I must admit not touching my face is a huge problem for me. I am always rubbing my eyes, nose, etc. I am very aware of it now, but usually after I have
    just done if for the umpteenth time.

One of the things I realized the other day was that I no longer put Kleenex in my pocket. Since I don’t Interact with any other human besides SO, and very briefly grocery store workers,any more I no longer get infected with colds.

I had one cold in 4 1/2 years and before the pandemic I was hardly a germphobe, although I didn't see people when they had sick symptoms (because I didn't want to obviously expose myself to the miserable common cold - but anything beyond that I didn't even stress - 5 second rule, fine with me). Now though ...
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't view it as signaling behaviour. I view it as a useful public health tool.

But what do I know, I've only been on the region's infectious disease control team for years, and have full Ebola suits in my go-bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If full PPE agree. If cloth face coverings that do not stop small covid particles disagree.
    You don't even know what you don't know.

Thread Information