Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinning Hair Products

Geila

Thinning Hair Products

Does anyone have experience with the Rogaine or Nioxin products for thinning hair? I happened to watch a video I sent out recently and was horrified to see that when I bend my head down I see lots of scalp. It looks like I'm going bald from the top down. I don't want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't work, but Costco has positive reviews for the Nioxin shampoo/conditioner and the Kirkland brand Minoxidil product (basically Rogaine's formula) in the foam and liquid applicator. Is there any hope?

My friend started to lose her hair in her 30’s. She has been using rogaine for 20 years successfully.

I interviewed women who had alopecia a few years back. I think minoxidil can work, but I don't think the efficacy is great, and it's very messy.

Biotin is a vitamin supplement, and several women I interviewed used that. At one point my hairdresser told me that I was shedding a lot, more than I should, so I started taking biotin, and the shedding slowed--to be honest I can't say if the biotin caused the slow-down. Thankfully I always had very thick hair and could afford to lose some.

My gut feel is that alcohol also promotes hair loss. I really don't know how much science is behind this. I remember during my shedding time, I cut back on wine (I was drinking 1-2 glasses a night). Not sure if this is relevant for you. I'm just offering this information FWIW.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Forgot to add you must use it daily.

Geila
    I started using biotin a while back and it seems to help a tiny bit at the front of the hairline but that's about it. I don't smoke or drink, but I think it's partly due to estrogen levels. I recently started HRT for severe perimenopausal symptoms. Hair loss and thinning hair is one of the symptoms for the change as well. One of my nieces has pretty severe alopecia and she has not found anything that helps her. I wonder if that type of baldness is different and thus unresponsive to the products. She's had it since her teens, poor thing.

As an aside, I was looking at reviews on amazon and saw several reviews where the poster thought they had received a counterfeit because the new bottles were not working like before, and some said the product itself even looked different. If I do buy the product, I'll use Costco because I feel like they are more trustworthy.

I have very fine hair as well as thinning, so I'm hoping it will make it thicker as well.

TT - do you know which form of rogaine she uses? From what I've seen there is a liquid and a foam version and both have their own pros/cons.

She uses the foam.

Yppej
    If you did go bald, could you embrace that? I really admire Ayanna Pressley who did just that:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/17/79729...-with-alopecia

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If you did go bald, could you embrace that? I really admire Ayanna Pressley who did just that:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/17/79729...-with-alopecia
    Nope... would be a wig for me. Totally unattractive.

I would wear a hat. Wigs are hot and uncomfortable.

I think I would welcome that! Wake up every morning and no bed head to repair before seeing people.

Thread Information