Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinning Hair Products

I would have an extensive wardrobe of wigs. I wore them years ago, when they were denser--often not open-wefted as they are now, and they didn't bother me then. I may be touchier now, but the endless styles, colors, and various features available would probably override any discomfort.

Geila
    I've rocked the bald look a few times and actually LOVED the easy and comfort it provided. It was amazing. Sadly, my face type is not suited for it as I hold a lot of weight in my face and I looked very round. I joke that I looked like Telly Savalas! But if I do end up going bald I will just embrace it and go with it. No wigs or hats, they make me too hot. I mean, I'll need a hat for sun protection, but I wouldn't bother with it just for looks. I think many women look gorgeous bald, and if I looked halfway decent would be doing that now.

I'll try the products since I wash my hair everyday anyway. If after a year there's no benefit then I'll think about the next step.

As an aside, has anyone done HRT?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I've rocked the bald look a few times and actually LOVED the easy and comfort it provided. It was amazing. Sadly, my face type is not suited for it as I hold a lot of weight in my face and I looked very round. I joke that I looked like Telly Savalas! But if I do end up going bald I will just embrace it and go with it. No wigs or hats, they make me too hot. I mean, I'll need a hat for sun protection, but I wouldn't bother with it just for looks. I think many women look gorgeous bald, and if I looked halfway decent would be doing that now.

I'll try the products since I wash my hair everyday anyway. If after a year there's no benefit then I'll think about the next step.

As an aside, has anyone done HRT?

My overall impression without spending much time looking into it is that hormone replacement therapy was once routinely prescribed, for women of my mother’s generation, and does not seem to be routinely prescribed now.

I remember my mother had a Big Important Talk with me when I was in my early 20s and made me promise (As I remember it) that I would take hormones at the appropriate time. I barely knew WTF she was talking about, but as usual with these sort of declarations I nodded my head and said “yeah mom” and promptly forgot it.

My only guess about this is that HRT must’ve been a fairly new procedure back then? That would’ve been mid 70s? And she must’ve been having trouble in menopause? Anyway, it seemed important to her. And it is true that we have osteoporosis badly in her side of the family so that might’ve been driving her concern.

I never had any reason to look into HRT, menopausal symptoms were mild, but sure I have lost hair. Actually if it makes anyone happier, it seems like my hair loss has dissipated in the last few years but granted , I am more careful with my head.

I've thought about getting a buzz cut--or giving myself one, more likely--just for the freedom. Like Geila, I doubt I have the face for it, but any vanity I ever had has long since been discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My overall impression without spending much time looking into it is that hormone replacement therapy was once routinely prescribed, for women of my mother’s generation, and does not seem to be routinely prescribed now.

I remember my mother had a Big Important Talk with me when I was in my early 20s and made me promise (As I remember it) that I would take hormones at the appropriate time. I barely knew WTF she was talking about, but as usual with these sort of declarations I nodded my head and said “yeah mom” and promptly forgot it.

My only guess about this is that HRT must’ve been a fairly new procedure back then? That would’ve been mid 70s? And she must’ve been having trouble in menopause? Anyway, it seemed important to her. And it is true that we have osteoporosis badly in her side of the family so that might’ve been driving her concern.

I never had any reason to look into HRT, menopausal symptoms were mild, but sure I have lost hair. Actually if it makes anyone happier, it seems like my hair loss has dissipated in the last few years but granted , I am more careful with my head.
    HRT was promoted as the fountain of women's youth, particularly by the male doctor who wrote a book about it. It was widely touted as the remedy for many aging ills, including osteoporosis, dryness, you name it. It replaces hormones after all, so it basically keeps the youth river flowing. It was a treatment for all of those things, and many women swore by it.

But in the 2000s I think it was, the WHO released a study that showed an increased cancer risk among users and then overall use of it and prescribing of it precipitously declined. "Bioidentical" hormones are now supposed to be less risky because they are matched to your own hormone levels.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've thought about getting a buzz cut--or giving myself one, more likely--just for the freedom. Like Geila, I doubt I have the face for it, but any vanity I ever had has long since been discarded.
    Jane - the freedom is wonderful. I loved, loved, how it felt to have no hair. I thought I would feel embarrassed being in public so I bought an expensive wig but never wore it because dh said it looked very wiggy. And surprisingly, I completely forgot about being bald when I was out and about. I never felt like others were judging me either. I think most people are only worried about how they look and couldn't care less about anyone else's looks. It all happened because one day I was in the garden, hot and sweaty, and annoyed with my long hair. I got the clippers I use on my maltipoo and went to town. Hallelujah! I had a few men compliment me on it, which was a bit surprising. I wore it shaved for a few years and eventually grew it out purely out of vanity. I never went back to dyeing it though.

Catherine - I'm using the bioidentical estrogen patch (along with a synthetic oral progesterone) and so far it is working great. I read about the WHO studies but it seems that since then many other studies have found conflicting data but doctors are still leery of prescribing it. I'm very grateful to be able to get relief. I have an appt this week with my gyn and I'm going to ask her if I can switch to bioidentical progesterone. Ideally, I would like the combo bioidential patch that combines both hormones, but apparently it's very expensive and my insurance won't cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    HRT was promoted as the fountain of women's youth, particularly by the male doctor who wrote a book about it. It was widely touted as the remedy for many aging ills, including osteoporosis, dryness, you name it. It replaces hormones after all, so it basically keeps the youth river flowing. It was a treatment for all of those things, and many women swore by it.

But in the 2000s I think it was, the WHO released a study that showed an increased cancer risk among users and then overall use of it and prescribing of it precipitously declined. "Bioidentical" hormones are now supposed to be less risky because they are matched to your own hormone levels.
    Good summary, thank you.

Geila
    I've been using the Rogaine product (actually the Kirkland brand) for about a month now. I haven't seen many new hairs on my head, which they say won't happen till around month 4. But let me tell you, I sure have new hair on my face! It looks like I'm trying to grow sideburns, a mustache and a goatee. At least the hair is fine and light enough that I don't really notice it unless I'm plucking my eyebrows with a magnifying mirror. For now. But there's a lot of it. I wouldn't be able to keep up with it by plucking. Hopefully the facial growth will slow down as the head ramps up. One can hope. I did read that it's a common side effect with the product. At least there's lots of new growth on my eyebrows, which is nice.

I finally understand the need for women's face razors. I won't be able to wax, the one time I did my eyebrows the area was red and irritated for days. Plus, you know, the pain. I saw that Avon sells a cream, kind of like the old Nair but for the face. And I guess there's bleaching? Do still people do that?

Anyway, I haven't asked Dh if he can see all the hair. He's nearsighted whereas I'm farsighted. And right now, ignorance is bliss.

I opted for the buzz cut when there was less hair on top.

My barber tells me that the Creator only made so many perfect heads ... the rest had to be covered up with hair.

For what its worth, I think women with buzz cuts look fabulous.

My friend is having better luck with the rogaine brand and does it daily.

Thread Information