Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And the science says...

Sweet, you are absolutely right. People are being permanently disabled from it and young people have died. I do think states have to slowly reopen in a responsible manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well, obviously not in your mind, and probably Gardnr's. Do you really hate people who disagree with you as much as you hate him, or do you just come across that way?
    I guess you didn't see the pro-trump signs that the mostly unmasked protestors in Michigan and other places had.

But a quick google turns up that you can also see the partisan divide in mask wearing by watching the Minnesota legislature doing their thing.

https://www.minnpost.com/state-gover...-mask-wearing/

I don't hate people for disagreeing with me. I hate it when people don't care about the safety of people around them. During my googles just now I found the results of a recent poll that showed that 76% of democratic party identified people wear masks, compared to 59% of republican party identified people. That's a notable difference, but still a pretty high number of republicans concerned about the safety of others and wearing masks. The anti-maskers are just a very vocal minority.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The anti-maskers are just a very vocal minority.
    I'm not certain because I don't spend any parts of my day looking for confirmation but I'm thinking it's possible that your "anti-maskers" may not have a problem with doing the right thing and wearing a mask, they just don't think it should be mandated.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The fact that those same anti-maskers complaining about them are also not wearing masks would seem to show that they both don’t think it should be mandated and won’t wear one.

I think there is a lot of evidence that masks can slow down the spread of a virus, and am acting accordingly.

I can’t help but feel, though, that when people speak sententiously of “The Science” they are more interested in a rhetorical bludgeon than a tool to uncover truth. Too often “The Science” is being curated and delivered by people with an interest in scoring political points or creating click-worthy drama. That’s why we get the gruesome models predicting millions dead without the qualifications and assumptions. Expertise can be valuable within a certain range, but experts are not oracles.

I think it was GK Chesterton who said something to the effect that education is important because it keeps us from taking educated people too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The fact that those same anti-maskers complaining about them are also not wearing masks would seem to show that they both don’t think it should be mandated and won’t wear one.
    Well, it is an effective way to make a point. Protesting being forced to do something while doing that something rings hollow.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you listen to the Trumpster rather than read a headline, the Trumpster said when he was at the Ford factory ( Is that what this is from?) that he wore a mask when he was in a section of the Ford place where they asked him to wear a mask. I don’t see what’s funny about that.

It’s just kind of narrative that will win Trump his election. Keep going folks.
    From what I heard was he was asked to wear the mask everywhere. He chose to take it off and then (as usual) made up the remark about only wearing where it was required. Kind of like at the Mayo Clinic where EVERYONE wore a mask and he chose to put everyone at risk. And, this person calls himself a leader......

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I wish some would understand just how dangerous this virus is. It is not the flu but it affects cells throughout the body in our blood stream and can cause an incredible amount of disease/damage. Sure not everyone has the same response but it does affect all age groups, is highly contagious, and is spread without any symptoms being present. I am seeing an incredible amount of selfish behavior.

I know a father and son who spend over a month each in ICU. The son barely survived and both are in rehab trying to learn how to breath again and trying to get back some strength.
    Skyped with my son today and he said the hospitals in Minneapolis are filled to capacity with COVID19 patients. He personally knows 4 people who had it. The one guy was on a respirator for 2 weeks and is still recovering. This is not the usual flu!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well, obviously not in your mind, and probably Gardnr's. Do you really hate people who disagree with you as much as you hate him, or do you just come across that way?
    I took it that trump is like those others that we see that do not want to wear masks. They must have a symbiotic relationship?

If I didn't like the speed limit on the road through my village, what would be an appropriate method of protest?

How about if I don't think speed limits should be mandatory?

Thread Information