Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: And the science says...

  1. #1
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,521

    And the science says...

    Wear a mask in public indoor spaces. If infected people (or potentially infected people, which is ALL of us) largely wear masks, the spread of this disease will be significantly reduced.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQw7vLNsDA

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Wear a mask in public indoor spaces. If infected people (or potentially infected people, which is ALL of us) largely wear masks, the spread of this disease will be significantly reduced.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQw7vLNsDA
    hoo boy, another thread in which we can squabble about masks. ‘Cause we need that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    hoo boy, another thread in which we can squabble about masks. ‘Cause we need that.
    Indeed. Because at least one of our members won’t want to hear science that doesn’t comport with their hatred of masks. Bummer for them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. Because at least one of our members won’t want to hear science that doesn’t comport with their hatred of masks. Bummer for them.
    So, is this thread to keep her from having to read about science and masks? Or is it to focus on science and masks so that she would come over and read it from other threads? Or? pray tell, what is the purpose of a separate thread about the eternal topic of masks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,521
    I suppose I can’t stop the ‘I hate science’ crowd from infecting this thread with nonsense. But my main point was not to goad stupid responses but instead to share one of my favorite YouTube people who shares facts about covid in his videos.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9,493
    Jp, I read if everyone wears a mask infection rates go down by 80%. Sounds good to me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,204
    When my son was little and he and later I had chickenpox I was told to stay home with pay. It worked for me. One coworker was upset though. He said, "I wish you had come in and I could bring my kids around you so they could catch it. It's better to get it when you're younger and get immunity, because when you're older it's more severe."

    Along those lines, if masks really do stop covid, then maybe all the young people partying at places like Lake of the Ozarks are doing us a favor. They are a low risk group helping develop herd immunity for more vulnerable populations, and catching the disease, currently with a mortality rate similar to the flu (when you factor in the asyptomatic people) before it possibly mutates into a more virulent form. The immunity would likely last through a mutation, just as having had cowpox protected against other poxes. Maybe we should be applauding those brave people willing to risk getting covid for the greater good.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,165
    I have been watching Dr. John Campbell every day since January. He summarizes all kinds of info and provides all his sources. He clearly was able to put it all together early. He is generally ahead of all the main popular media outlets. No drama just information.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    When my son was little and he and later I had chickenpox I was told to stay home with pay. It worked for me. One coworker was upset though. He said, "I wish you had come in and I could bring my kids around you so they could catch it. It's better to get it when you're younger and get immunity, because when you're older it's more severe."

    Along those lines, if masks really do stop covid, then maybe all the young people partying at places like Lake of the Ozarks are doing us a favor. They are a low risk group helping develop herd immunity for more vulnerable populations, and catching the disease, currently with a mortality rate similar to the flu (when you factor in the asyptomatic people) before it possibly mutates into a more virulent form. The immunity would likely last through a mutation, just as having had cowpox protected against other poxes. Maybe we should be applauding those brave people willing to risk getting covid for the greater good.
    Here is the "her" we are all referring to.... with a stupid response.

  10. #10
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16,347
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Here is the "her" we are all referring to.... with a stupid response.
    jp, glad to see your thread bringing out this kind of discourse. Good choice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •