Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ways To Protect Yourself and Others from Coronavirus

You can visit people by sitting outside and staying minimum 6ft away.

The weather here has finally gotten good enough to regularly do this. When I dropped off groceries for the senior lady from church I've been shopping for earlier in the week, I went around the back to her patio and we sat at least 10ft apart for about 20 minutes and visited. She has been staying home since mid-February and has been very lonely.

I'm going to do this with other seniors from church. I told them to just let me know when they'd like me to come visit.

Tradd, that’s nice of you. It would be hard to be home by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You can visit people by sitting outside and staying minimum 6ft away.
    Yes. A dear friend of mine is a RN working in our local big hospital and she lives alone. She's doing 5 12s/week. She's come over twice to visit. We sit 10+ feet apart. I make her a cocktail and put it on the sidetable when she's getting out of her car. 2 weeks ago, we talked for 5 hours!!!!! Yup, 2nd and 3rd cocktails It was a wonderful and safe visit. She literally spends no time with any human outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Yes. A dear friend of mine is a RN working in our local big hospital and she lives alone. She's doing 5 12s/week. She's come over twice to visit. We sit 10+ feet apart. I make her a cocktail and put it on the sidetable when she's getting out of her car. 2 weeks ago, we talked for 5 hours!!!!! Yup, 2nd and 3rd cocktails It was a wonderful and safe visit. She literally spends no time with any human outside of work.
    Sounds fab!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tradd, that’s nice of you. It would be hard to be home by yourself.
    Don't forget that I'm also home by myself! I go grocery shopping once a week and then down to the dive shop once a week to get my tanks filled. I've been diving two of the past three weekends. Our local quarry opens next Monday. I have several friends who are available during the week, so we will likely go diving during the weekend, when it's less crowded than on weekends. Although, we're not sure how busy it's going to be even on weekends.

Good on you, Tradd! How nice for those ladies, to finally get some company.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Yppej,

That list looks good, but I would add a couple of points:
    Wash hands with soap and warm water for a 20 second scrub.
    Use telephone/internet for frequent contact with people, to reduce the sense of isolation.
    Wear a mask and gloves when away from home.
    I have no issue with handwashing. Just be careful about using a lot of antibacterial soaps if you are on a septic system.

Gloves I gave up on in part based on advice I got here. It is going to be hard for most people to use them correctly. I believe the same is true of face coverings, and even if used correctly they do not block miniscule covid particles, a million of which can fit on the head of a pin.

I do visit some people from about 10 feet away outdoors. Others are too scared at even that distance and I keep in touch with them other ways as you suggest.

Some good additions to the list Dado.

I am somewhat skeptical about masks and gloves, but in a store or in a social interaction with a stranger, my mask and gloves are a sign that I am taking precautions. So maybe people will respect that, and stay 6 feet away from me. In various other ways I communicate that I am not there for a long time, or a good time. I am task-oriented, in-and-out. My eyes may (I hope) express cordiality, compassion and gratitude. But... like Groucho Marx in the role of Captain Spaulding, "I really must be going!"

In my state (WI) the number of new cases reported today = 600 ... the highest ever. The 14-day moving average of new cases is about 400 now, also the highest number ever.

The NY Times reported the new COVID-19 cases are increasing 14 states and Puerto Rico. As a resident of one of those states, I commiserate with the good people of
    CA
    FL
    VA
    NC
    TN
    WI
    AL
    MS
    SC
    NV
    AR
    PR
    ND
    ME
    WV.

Tradd, won't you be my neighbor?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Tradd, won't you be my neighbor?

Thread Information