Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed by the pandemic.....

Bless you, no religious offense intended, and no, I'm not at all shocked. With each passing day the truth of America is getting harder and harder to deny for those so inclined.
    you would think I would be cynical by now, in some ways I am, I think I like to pretend I am cynical.

And yet if I am REALLY so cynical why do I keep retaining the capacity to be genuinely shocked again and again and how bad it all is? By every administration (I am not by any means saying they are all equally bad, but faith in basic human goodness is a long time dying), by every step. Maybe I'll reach cynical someday, maybe my cynicism wasn't broad enough, had sharp limits, and needed to be a lot broader. I think that's a lot of it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I always find it amusing when anyone I know says they want to move to Canada They almost never have actually checked out the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I always find it amusing when anyone I know says they want to move to Canada They almost never have actually checked out the requirements.
    Agree.

Last year when we were visiting our friends in New Hampshire one of them, who has Canadian family roots, mentioned that now he was free of work he could move to Canada. He offered the idea that he wouldn’t be a burden to anyone, so that was always an option for him.

I countered that Canada certainly would not want him at the age of 65 as a citizen because he is old and would be a strain on the healthcare system. If he was talking about living there but continuing to draw Social Security and pension income from these United States he would have to obtain visas twice a year, I’m not sure how friendly they are about that concept. Also I’m not sure about him using healthcare system As a non-citizen.

Now it is entirely possible that Canada has a native son immigration program of some kind that he might fit into And I do not know about that. But him fitting into the regular immigration slots – no that’s not happening at his advanced age.

Yes, these are frustrating times. Especially the lack of clarity about just about everything. My first world issue is that I can't seem to get my car repaired. Made the appt two weeks ago at Honda dealer for part to be replaced. Took it in today and told that they didn't have the part after they had dismantled it. Charging me daily for a loaner car (new virus laws) and meanwhile my car sits there waiting for a major part they can't seem to find anywhere - new or reconditioned.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Yes, these are frustrating times. Especially the lack of clarity about just about everything. My first world issue is that I can't seem to get my car repaired. .
    Join the crowd. Nurses cannot get repairs done. A friend called AAA for a tow as she had a breakdown enroute home. Towing companies refused to interact with a RN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Join the crowd. Nurses cannot get repairs done. A friend called AAA for a tow as she had a breakdown enroute home. Towing companies refused to interact with a RN.
    Hmm, in this state, auto repair and towing for medical staff and first responders has been deemed an "essential activity" since Day One. Boo hiss on your folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hmm, in this state, auto repair and towing for medical staff and first responders has been deemed an "essential activity" since Day One. Boo hiss on your folks.
    I'm on a FB Nurse group-it is happening across the country. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I'm on a FB Nurse group-it is happening across the country. So sad.
    That's just terrible :-(

Catherine, I would definitely come visit you! I think we would have a great time.

My car is kaput too. People aren't allowed to ride in the tow truck, so I'm at a loss. Uber? That doesn't seem safe. I've actually thought about buying a new car; I keep seeing ads for home delivery. Annoying.

Yeah, that thing about having to qualify for Canadian citizenship is problematic. Right after I retired, I looked into it. I was pretty close to qualifying; I would have had to brush up on my French, which is rudimentary at best. I should have tried harder to qualify. I've completely lost faith in this country.

Thread Information