Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta, GA

All you life long northerners and westerlies make the south seem like a foreign country. The only thing I'll say about it is that southern folks are not likely to adjust to you so please don't hold it against them, they're mostly good people as long as you don't expect them to think you're special.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    All you life long northerners and westerlies make the south seem like a foreign country. The only thing I'll say about it is that southern folks are not likely to adjust to you so please don't hold it against them, they're mostly good people as long as you don't expect them to think you're special.
    Well, it is true that the "United" States are very different from place to place. I like Northerners, Southerners, Westerlies, PNWs, Midwesterlies, and Southwesterlies. But when you live in one place and you adopt one set of cultural attitudes and behaviors, it's hard to feel comfortable in a new place. I think it's easier for people who moved from place to place throughout childhood, like Army kids, but some of us get set in our ways. I feel like I"m pretty adventurous in some ways, but I know myself now, and I'll never leave the Northeast. I don't think I'm special. It's the place that's special--it's home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

People want to live where they fit in and feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

Alan the east and the south ARE foreign countries to me - and I love that about them. We have now traveled the entire east coast and I have loved every inch of it. Very very different than the west coast in almost every way. The only thing I had a difficult time with was the humidity, it flattens me. I'm a girl from the land of tall trees and mist. I have moss between my toes. The only other times I have experienced that type of oppression was in southern Texas and the sauna at my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My niece that grew up here prefers the south. She loves the heat/humidity and hates our dry world and cold winters.

I have no issue with southerners either coming here or vacationing there. Although SEC fans? Well, that's a whole 'nother breed of nasty when you're from the West supporting a team here. But that's not the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    In my old age I have come to loath and despise the month of September. In my little mind, September is hell because it should not be hot in September. I’m from Northern Iowa where Septembers cool down for school attendance and we wear school clothes, not sweat clothes.

I put up with the heat and humidity of July and August because those are summer months where God intended things to be hot and muggy in the Midwest because that’s just where we are! It’s how we grow fat vegetables. My lily garden is producing all through the month of July so I’m very fond of July, and by August I’m still out working in the garden but I’m kind of over it.

So if September is, in my mind, supposed to be cooling off, hot weeks in October make me ragey. Last year on October 1 it was in the 90s. I was already sick and I had to put on a dumb block party because we had moved National Night Out from August to October so it would be cooler. Yeah not by much we probably saved 3° of heat.

I’m hatching a fantasy in my mind where I skip off to New England for four weeks of September. I would think by then rentals would be plentiful because all those East Coast people Are back home with her children in school and rentals might be a little cheaper? The only piece I can’t quite figure out is how do I walk away from all my gardens for four weeks and not come back to a jungle of weeds. I don’t trust people I hire to weed, And it’s bloody impossible to get people to do that kind of work anyway.
    IL: We always take our summer vacation in September, and we almost always stay in New England. The weather is good and the kids are back in school, so typically no crowds and easier to get reservations. You might like the Berkshires. There are some great historic homes to visit: Edith Wharton's Mount, Naumkeag, Chesterfield. There's the Berkshire Botanical Gardens and some great museums: MA MOCA, The Clark. We've never been to the Rockwell Museum, but a lot of folks say it's great. OF course, there are lovely places in the coastal areas as well.

Geila, I know we share similar tastes in literature. To understand what I am talking about with the North/South thing, check out the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story "The Ice Palace." I thought he got it right. Very accurate. But the South of my childhood is not the South of Atlanta. But when I read that story about about the age of 18, I thought it was absolutely true.

The people were different then. Don't know about now--you'd have to go spend a couple of weeks there and see what you think!

When we lived in upstate New York we were instantly accepted because my husband grew up there and his family still lived there. Others that moved from a different state took 10 years to be accepted if they lasted that long.

I lived in Atlanta for 25 years, including a 3 year stretch less than a half mile from the CDC. PM me if you have any specific questions. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I lived in Atlanta for 25 years, including a 3 year stretch less than a half mile from the CDC. PM me if you have any specific questions. Cheers.
    Good to hear from you, Yossarian! It's been a while.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information