Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta, GA

Geila

Atlanta, GA

Has anyone lived in Atlanta and care to share your experience? Dh has been offered a job at the CDC facility located there. We've both lived most of our lives in Northern California and we've been spoiled by the weather, and that would probably be the biggest drawback. Specifically, the humidity in the summer.

One of the big pluses is the ability to live close to work. Here, we cannot afford to live anywhere near his work; he's in non-profit research and his work is in one of the most expensive cities in the Bay Area. It looks like Atlanta is more affordable. The other big draw is the green (we both love trees), the open spaces, and the rainfall. If the rain would just would restrict itself to cold weather, then it would be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Has anyone lived in Atlanta and care to share your experience? Dh has been offered a job at the CDC facility located there. We've both lived most of our lives in Northern California and we've been spoiled by the weather, and that would probably be the biggest drawback. Specifically, the humidity in the summer.

One of the big pluses is the ability to live close to work. Here, we cannot afford to live anywhere near his work; he's in non-profit research and his work is in one of the most expensive cities in the Bay Area. It looks like Atlanta is more affordable. The other big draw is the green (we both love trees), the open spaces, and the rainfall. If the rain would just would restrict itself to cold weather, then it would be perfect!
    The job sounds wonderful, for sure. I think that from what I have read of your posts that you would not care for it, but I am basing that on what I know of Atlanta from years ago, and I never lived in Atlanta. If you could go and visit and hang out with some of the CDC people and see what they are like, and where they live? Metro Atlanta is horrific, with awful traffic. I think you would not like the weather or the people.

Sorry to be discouraging. Atlanta is my idea of hell, and I am a native Georgian.

We have moved a lot for jobs so weather was never really a consideration for us. Basically we looked at salary versus COL. We have lived in some crappy places. Was on vacation 40 years ago to Atlanta.

Yppej
    I have visited and know people who live there. The traffic is bad, though maybe not now during a pandemic. Despite this the people I know do not like or use the mass transit system.

The city will be blue but the state is red. Depending on your political beliefs that may be a welcome or unwelcome change from California.

There are typical big city concerns, including safety in certain neighborhoods, but also big city amenities. I went with XBF and we saw the King sites and the Tanger Outlet Mall. We also went out to eat with friends at a TGI Friday's that had a DJ, which you don't get up my way. There are definitely opportunities to party if you are into that.

One resident I know is Jewish and he found the city very tolerant.

I'm surprised the CDC is hiring, or even that it still exists, these days.

I would think you would hate the weather in Atlanta.

Many years ago we had a library conference in Atlanta. I met up with an old friend from New Mexico who is in very good shape since he’s an outdoorsy guy. Me, never in really good shape because I am not Miss Athletic had less trouble than he did because I was from the sweltering lower midwest. He had obvious trouble acclimating.

I’ve heard that Houston is worse than Atlanta so it could be worse
    i guess.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The job sounds wonderful, for sure. I think that from what I have read of your posts that you would not care for it, but I am basing that on what I know of Atlanta from years ago, and I never lived in Atlanta. If you could go and visit and hang out with some of the CDC people and see what they are like, and where they live? Metro Atlanta is horrific, with awful traffic. I think you would not like the weather or the people.

Sorry to be discouraging. Atlanta is my idea of hell, and I am a native Georgian.
    Tybee - what is it that makes you think I wouldn't like the people? The only thing I've read online is that people are friendly. I've also read that traffic is bad, though I doubt it's as bad as here. If we did move there, it would be just until dh retires and then we would move to a small town.

What part of Georgia are you from? I've always wanted to visit Savannah. And Charleston, for the gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm surprised the CDC is hiring, or even that it still exists, these days.
    Yes, a popular notion if we only read headline news from CNN et al. for confirmation of our biases ( always satisfying, I know!)

This budget analysis of The CDC by the Cato institute suggestS a different agenda of recent presidential budgets then CNN would lead you to believe.

I realize that Cato is, of course, poisonous anathema to you, but I like it, not surprisingly.

Real NIH spending soared from the mid‐​1990s to 2011. It was then cut under President Obama but has rebounded under President Trump. Real CDC spending soared from around 1990 to 2010 but has been roughly flat since then. New legislation tackling the coronavirus will increase spending above these levels going forward.“

https://www.cato.org/blog/coronavirus-nih/cdc-funding

It is a glorious time to be a CDC fundraiser.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would think you would hate the weather in Atlanta.

Many years ago we had a library conference in Atlanta. I met up with an old friend from New Mexico who is in very good shape since he’s an outdoorsy guy. Me, never in really good shape because I am not Miss Athletic had less trouble than he did because I was from the sweltering lower midwest. He had obvious trouble acclimating.

I’ve heard that Houston is worse than Atlanta so it could be worse
    i guess.
    Yeah, the weather. The other place we've been thinking of moving to, here in California, is very hot in the summers - over 100 many days for about 7 months of the year. And it's dry, 10" of rain a year. There's definitely a corollary between weather and cost of living!

IR - I was in St. Louis many years ago for a friend's college reunion and it was during the summer I think and I was surprised that the humidity was not too uncomfortable. Of course, I was in my late 20's then. Beautiful university, by the way. How do you cope with the weather in your area? Is the humidity an issue just in the summer, or year-round?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Tybee - what is it that makes you think I wouldn't like the people? The only thing I've read online is that people are friendly. I've also read that traffic is bad, though I doubt it's as bad as here. If we did move there, it would be just until dh retires and then we would move to a small town.

What part of Georgia are you from? I've always wanted to visit Savannah. And Charleston, for the gardens.
    Georgia is red, red, red. I don’t remember your political affinities. Atlanta is blue like many big cities, but if you lean anywhere left, I can’t imagine you’d like the rest of the state.

When I was considering moving elsewhere some years back, GA was on my list of possibilities, but it was a final no due to the climate. I’ve got close friends who are GA natives. I visited once and the parts I saw were very pretty. I made sure to go in November, as it would be cooler.

GA is very religious, as well.

Thread Information