Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 227

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

  1. #121
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,956
    The Oregonian:
    "Outside the Justice Center on Sunday afternoon, members of the Portland Police Bureau took a knee in a show of solidarity with Black Lives Matter protesters." Video courtesy of Ryan Ao // AO Productions

  2. #122
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,457
    Arizona is now on a one week lockdown from 8 PM to 5 AM. Rumours of riots in downtown Phoenix and Tucson tonight have been spreading through my neighnorhood. This is not going to end well for anyone but attorneys. Rob

  3. #123
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,457
    And I misquoted - it's a one week CURFEW, not a lockdown. My bad. Sorry. Rob

  4. #124
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,556
    San Francisco and various other CA cities are as well. The outsiders ran around after the protests were over last night and set things on fire. Hopefully the goal is to be able to sweep up all these ne’er do wells and find out who they are, where they came from, and what their goals are.

  5. #125
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    8,624
    Our protest in the Village today. Note all of the looting and violence.

    easts.jpg

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,938
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Lord knows we don't need no social justice 'round here!
    Oh I think they mean well. I think they believe that shouting in the street and occasionally blocking traffic will make us better people. As long as they leave off the violence and arson, I see them as just another attraction in the big sideshow.

    As to the outside agitators thing, if all the violence in all the cities is being perpetrated by people from elsewhere, where is elsewhere exactly? Are provocateurs simply circulating around so nobody trashes their own home town?

  7. #127
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,073
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    As to the outside agitators thing, if all the violence in all the cities is being perpetrated by people from elsewhere, where is elsewhere exactly? Are provocateurs simply circulating around so nobody trashes their own home town?
    I've wondered about that as well. The outside hooligan theory only makes sense if say the New York chapter of 'Evil White Racist Inc.' (™) is making mischief in Atlanta while the Atlanta chapter is busy in Chicago.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #128
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    8,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've wondered about that as well. The outside hooligan theory only makes sense if say the New York chapter of 'Evil White Racist Inc.' is making mischief in Atlanta while the Atlanta chapter is busy in Chicago.
    I think "lone basement dweller radicalized by the Internet" makes more sense. I don't think we see vans of out-of-state agitators so much, at least here in Seattle.

    In Seattle, people traveled to the protests from all over the state, presumably those folks might be considered "outside hooligans" if they stepped out of line, even if they had only come over from Bellevue.

  9. #129
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,556
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Oh I think they mean well. I think they believe that shouting in the street and occasionally blocking traffic will make us better people. As long as they leave off the violence and arson, I see them as just another attraction in the big sideshow.
    As someone who belongs to a minority whose effort at obtaining civil rights got a major boost after a few days or protesting and rioting (and setting a few things on fire) 51 years ago I tend to take a different view. It's been years since anyone (at least anyone whose opinions have any level of mainstream acceptance today) has called the Stonewall protestors thugs or hooligans (or whatever was the fashionable term back in the 70's and 80's and 90's). And in fact, every year, on the anniversary of those riots, in cities across the country and around the world we celebrate those riots and what they accomplished with big parades. My biggest hope is that it doesn't take the current rioters 51 years to achieve their goal.

  10. #130
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,457
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As someone who belongs to a minority whose effort at obtaining civil rights got a major boost after a few days or protesting and rioting (and setting a few things on fire) 51 years ago I tend to take a different view. It's been years since anyone (at least anyone whose opinions have any level of mainstream acceptance today) has called the Stonewall protestors thugs or hooligans (or whatever was the fashionable term back in the 70's and 80's and 90's). And in fact, every year, on the anniversary of those riots, in cities across the country and around the world we celebrate those riots and what they accomplished with big parades. My biggest hope is that it doesn't take the current rioters 51 years to achieve their goal.
    Beautiful take! Rob

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •