Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...me-top-story-1

This article details the sad instance of a black man, shot In St Louis Monday night and lying in his own blood, dying, while bystanders stand around and film it. In this instance there are many bad actors but at this very moment I am most disgusted with Facebook for removing the video. I’m not sure why some videos of some black men dying in a public place are OK on FB but others are not.

I think in our current situation it is very bad form for me to provide a “but what about this “ commentary, and that’s not necessarily what I’m doing because thugs are thugs, criminals are criminals, and shooters are going to kill people that’s just the way it is.

But Facebook, they’re going to decide which ones violate their code? I guess that’s cause those decisions will always be ad hoc, and shooting from the hip.

It is hard to be a consistent censor.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Thank you, Rob. I understand that such a violent reaction may come but I cannot imagine any mentally-healthy person wanting to see it.

Maybe this past week or so is the Stonewall of the BIPOC (why are B and I included when they already should be part of POC?) situation. I would like to think that there could be an event that could galvanize real change. But after watching a kid shoot up an elementary school and kill two dozen people and seeing about zero change in any of the factors connected to that event, I will believe such change when I see it.
    SteveinMN - I very much respect your investment in your community. I share this with you - we may have different takes and believe in different courses of action from time to time - but we are both invested in our communities. Kudos to us both as many Americans don't seem to share this investment with us. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...me-top-story-1

This article details the sad instance of a black man, shot In St Louis Monday night and lying in his own blood, dying, while bystanders stand around and film it. In this instance there are many bad actors but at this very moment I am most disgusted with Facebook for removing the video. I’m not sure why some videos of some black men dying in a public place are OK on FB but others are not.

I think in our current situation it is very bad form for me to provide a “but what about this “ commentary, and that’s not necessarily what I’m doing because thugs are thugs, criminals are criminals, and shooters are going to kill people that’s just the way it is.

But Facebook, they’re going to decide which ones violate their code? I guess that’s cause those decisions will always be ad hoc, and shooting from the hip.

It is hard to be a consistent censor.
    Something just dawned on me, IL. Though we don't often agree and bicker from time to time - I do respect your investment in your community, too. I haven't completely followed your story so I am not sure if you are still in St. Louis or not - if not, I respect your investment in it while there. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Something just dawned on me, IL. Though we don't often agree and bicker from time to time - I do respect your investment in your community, too. I haven't completely followed your story so I am not sure if you are still in St. Louis or not - if not, I respect your investment in it while there. Rob
    Thanks
    rob. Indeed I invest much in my St. Louis urban core community, a zip code with a murder rate higher than most areas in the world. When I lookEd for a weekend house that became our Hermann house, I wanted a community that had strong social organizations that I could join. We have not moved to Hermann yet however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    And let me reiterate, property destruction is in no way comparable to the loss of life. We have institutionalIzard murder of black man in our country. I have no right to criticize anyone who is acting out against property when we’re killing them.
    I do. Those people did nothing to them. Property destruction is in no way congruent to human life!

My bfs neighborhood seemed to have been targeted for really no reason but bullying social media behavior. It's like a game I played as a teenager where I would call a random number and say "you have won 100 free prank calls".

I mean one could have hoped but none could have thought such a protest at this time would be entirely without looting etc.. Nor was it something organic that grew out of that neighborhood, it was social media. It's not wealthy, it's working to some middle class, it's not even mostly white, it's more Hispanic than white, largely illegals. It's a bunch of barely making it, even back a few months ago in the good times, businesses and a few large chains, only the latter will survive. I mean much was probably doomed to covid anyway, so it's not all this. In a place where they have been trying to revive business forever with only a few hanging on businesses. Meanwhile bf and his mom afraid they might have to flee (breaking curfew and frankly social distancing we have maintained among the elderly for months at this point - to flee to my apartment haha). Well it passed, there was looting. And that was the day I find out through work a doctors office was broken into.
    Trees don't grow on money

Good news!!!! Derek Chauvin has now had his charge upgraded to 2nd degree murder and the other three former officers have been charged too! This journey is nowhere near over but today America accelerates onto the expressway of this journey. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I've seen calls to defund the police, that seems to be more what is being requested, to the extent anything is, than trying to reform them. But nice we get solutions noone seems to actually be asking for.
    Defunding? Interesting idea. This would take away from their numbers but I can't see how it would force them into no bs allowed full no excuses compliance with the law. America will no longer accept anything less. But it's still an interesting idea. How do you propose it would work/what would the upsides be? Rob

Much of it just an effort to switch funding to other priorities than police especially given that the police budget is often the ONLY one not being cut (and sometimes increased) due to covid/economic crisis driven budget cuts (which is a reason one can trivialize property damage and in some sense it is, but one might imagine it repairable, and they might be wrong, as no city or state money actually exists to repair the damage if it is to public property, say a municipal bus, or may anytime in the foreseeable future - so we were already in deep, we're now in deeper).

Anyway defund the police, not all of it is absolute, that there will be NO police, some people want that, but I think much of it is just a call to switch some of the police funding to social services.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...olice-1007254/
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This journey is nowhere near over but today America accelerates onto the expressway of this journey. Rob
    Dude. We're still just trying to get out of the parking lot.

Thread Information