Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm afraid you ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait and see what he does when he loses the election in November.
    What will he do? Launch a coup?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    They had no business being there. They should have been brought down IMO.
    For what? Peacefully protesting while armed?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What will he do? Launch a coup?
    That certainly wouldn’t be outside his style. But no, I don’t think that’s the tactic he will take. More likely he’ll ratchet up the ‘rigged election’ BS to maximum volume in an attempt to metaphorically burn the country down on his way out.

That certainly wouldn’t be outside his style. But no, I don’t think that’s the tactic he will take. More likely he’ll ratchet up the ‘rigged election’ BS to maximum volume in an attempt to metaphorically burn the country down on his way out.
    Hope it doesn't burn down this weekend.

This guy sure isn't acting like a protester. They way he came fully prepared including an umbrella to block security cameras from getting any video of his face, calmly walks up and breaks the windows, and calmly walks away is not normal behavior of someone protesting and looting. Not to mention the fact that he's white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfL59aLGPo
    From the video I've seen these past few years of Antifa's neighborhood block parties they seem to be predominately white, and the umbrella became a universal sign of resistance to government in Hong Kong several years ago, though its symbolism may not be widely known locally. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ers-umbrellas/

Plus as an aside in the movie "The Kingsman - The Secret Service" the umbrella makes a pretty formidable weapon.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

A sort of National level Stacy Abrams strategy?

Wow. You miss a day around here, you miss a lot!

First, Rob, thank you. I was a little raw when I wrote what I did, but I stand by it. While Floyd's death is not unique, the solution for us lies in Minneapolis and in Minnesota. People coming from outside just to agitate do not understand the history or the people involved and only remove the focus from the work that should be done.

Tradd: The MSP burned businesses I've seen detailed were a Target store, pharmacy (Walgreens, I think), auto parts store. In MSP, a brand new apartment building (think it might have been still under construction) was burned.
    Here's a list of the buildings in Minneapolis and Saint Paul which have been vandalized and/or looted and damaged (so far). Two Targets, several pharmacies (including the local one for our Rx plan, burned to the ground), several auto parts stores, auto service places, many restaurants; you name it. The list includes only a few large downtown buildings vandalized "lightly" while protests occurred there. The apartment building was, indeed, under construction, and would have had 68 units of affordable housing.

JaneV2.0: I think it was the auto parts store that was targeted by the gas-masked guy with a hammer. There are rumors he is a police officer, due to the type of mask.
    I saw the social media post that made the allegation. The Saint Paul PD says the guy named is an officer of theirs but not involved. Personally, I don't see how you can make a conclusive ID of someone wearing a gas mask, and, as someone pointed out, the mask is not uniquely issued to police departments. The vandal is, however, white and obviously was prepared to do his work.

ToomuchStuff: I have not seen a list of the complete places that have been damaged or destroyed, and am not sure the rioters are done being destructive a holes.
    List is linked above and no, they are not.

I'm guessing tonight will be another long night here. My hunch is that the interlopers may hit Saint Paul tonight since Minneapolis has seen the brunt of the damage so far and Saint Paul was quiet last night; that might catch a few hundred LEOs off-guard if they're amassing in Minneapolis. Almost every highway that crosses the Twin Cities is now closed for the night. We'll see what happens.

frugal-one: My son left his home today in Minneapolis.
    frugal-one, I hope things hold together for him whenever he can return. The video I've seen of the area is all the more disturbing for being familiar with the area.

gimmethesimplelife: Were it not for the murderous criminal behavior of the Minneapolis PD ( who are also guilty of drawing first blood here) would any of this have happened? My suggestion is to point the finger of blame at the Minneapolis PD where it truly belongs.
    First, while Minnesota in general and the MPD specifically does not have a great track record where racism is concerned, I can't paint the entire force with that broad a brush.

I think Bob Kroll, the guy who runs the police union for MPD, is a dingy white stain of a human being and poorly suited to a job that is supposed to serve all of the public. I am hopeful that Minneapolis decertifies the union and has another group represent their officers. Former-officer Chauvin apparently has had more than his share of issues, too, both on the job and at the club at which he moonlighted to provide security. He should have been run off the force years ago; he's toxic. This also is not the first time MPD has been involved in a fatal shooting of an African-American.

But I believe rushing to judgement on the entire force is premature. As I see with many of the looters and vandals, things people would not think of doing on their own seem to become better ideas when people around them are doing them. That doesn't excuse anyone from the consequences. But I don't think every officer on MPD is dirty and troubled like Chauvin. Get rid of Kroll, insist that MPD cops live in Minneapolis, and actively manage the force and I think results would be substantially different and better.

Tradd: These scum are doing more harm to their communities than good.
    Absolutely. If it were African-Americans wanting to stick it to the system, they found an incredibly poor way to do it. The looting and vandalism have destroyed pretty much every food store (including the Targets and convenience stores) within walking distance of a mile or two. In both cities, they took out Target stores which, aside from some dollar stores and several national-chain pharmacies (which were damaged as well), were the only places within walking distance to purchase general merchandise at anything approaching non-boutique prices (no department stores, no Walmarts anywhere nearby, and only one Kmart miles further away).

Because of the pandemic, bus service has been curtailed severely to avoid wasting money on largely-empty buses. So some local folks, particularly the car-less and those who are handicapped, will have a hard time getting someplace to buy food and sundries, likely for months. Never mind the bank and post office branches which were destroyed, etc. These are poor neighborhoods; they absolutely did not need this. It is hard to believe African-Americans were doing this to make a point. The first night? Yeah, maybe unbridled rage got out of hand. But three nights in a row? Taking out libraries and bookstores? Radio studios? No, not buying that. Those vandals are not from around here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Those vandals are not from around here.
    Maybe, but it only takes a few people to activate a mob. I doubt many people travelled from out of town to stock up on TV's and Huggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    For what? Peacefully protesting while armed?
    They broke into the building. They had no business being there.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    They broke into the building. They had no business being there.
    I'm not sure which building you're talking about. Was it the Statehouse?

Thread Information